Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Sharing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
lemaycj
507 Views, 5 Replies

File Sharing

I am looking for a resolution for file sharing between Inventor from Product Design Suite Premium 2012 & Inventor from Product Design Suite Standard 2013 for two users.  I have no problem going from 2012 to 2013 obviously but the other way around: if a .idw is saved with 2013 it can't be opened with the 2012 program.  How do we work around that?  I was thinking we need to save from the 2013 into a 2012 format but don't know where to set that up.  Here's the message I get in 2012:

"Database schema for file path\50038.idw is (17.0(Build 170095000, 95)), which is newer than this version (16.0SP1 (Build 160190100, 190)) of the software"

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: lemaycj

The proper way is to upgrade the 2012 user to Inventor 2013.. Thats it.

3d cad program native formats are NOT backward compatible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
john.laidler

You need to have everyone on the same version of Inventor.  3D parametric solid modelers are not 'backward' compatible.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 4 of 6
edwardtg

We have recently had a similar problem in that existing files will not open in the SAME version of Inventor that they were created. We get the message 'database schema etc', but we haven't upgraded our software as we are still running on Inventor 11. No files have been created in a later version.

Has some other download such as DWGTrueview12 caused our existing files to be upgraded??? If so this is a bit rich and unforseen as we now can't access our records/ data base. Has anyone else got this problem and are there any answers or solutions other than upgrading at great cost??

Message 5 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: edwardtg

I suggest you start a new thread. Your problem is different from this one, as the OP's poblem was normal behaviour whereas the behaviour you're describing is not. When you create a new thread you should post one of the problem files.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 6 of 6
edwardtg

ok WILL DO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report