Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Naming - to avoid duplication

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
SeanFarr
881 Views, 5 Replies

File Naming - to avoid duplication

Hi, I am using Inventor Pro 2012. I am creating a frame using frame generator and adding in multiple sheet metal components, fasteners, and other various parts to my final assembly. Probably around 100 parts in total not including the fasteners. I have posted on here before, once about file naming conventions, project start up, frame generator and also about linking parts together by their parameters, so that when the master part file is updated, all components update. I have resolved all those issues and things were going well until now.

My plan is to create an assembly within a project folder called *product name*-BASE MODEL, this would include all parts, assemblies, and drawings for our product in the smallest standard size.

When a new project is ordered to a different size or even the the same as the base model, I was going to create a new project, copy and paste the entire project from *product name*-BASE MODEL to the new project location, and complete all size changes in the master part file, then all parts and drawings would update for that project. Quick and easy way to produce a set of drawings for a new project using a "template" style approach.

But now that I am starting this, it just struck me that using the copy and paste method, I am going to have duplicate names on my server, but for different projects. I would like to avoid duplicate names, but don't know how I should proceed.

Is having duplicate names going to be that big of an issue if the project name defines where all the parts and drawings come from? is there a way to add in a prefix or suffix to all already created parts, assemblies and drawings within Inventor or possibly a rule that can be written to complete this task?

Any help or directions is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RobJV
in reply to: SeanFarr

It sounds like you are using different project files for each project?  If so, there is nothing really to worry about.

There are a few things to watch when simply doing a copy of the subfolders when using single project method but that is also possible as well.  I will tell you that I use a single project file name, vault, and have duplicate file names throughout my vault.  I have never run into an issue using this method although many people will say it is wiser to ensure that there are no duplicate filenames in your vault.

It also sounds like you should look into using Ilogic for generating all your different assemblies.

One last thing - might be better to use a single project file and simply do a copy design on your base assembly or drawing in Vault for each time you want to create a new assembly.

Rob

Message 3 of 6
SeanFarr
in reply to: RobJV

Yea my plan was to create a new project for ...well a new project, I agree that if the files are in a different project that there should be no issues, but when dealing with computers and software, you can never predict everything that could happen. Especially with duplicate names of files. I always try to never use duplicate names for any task on computer.

Also I don't use vault, I work locally as I am the only CAD Tech, and twice a day I back up to the server and server gets backed up remotely every night. Plus I back up to a portable for working from home.

So from your post, you say you have duplicate files with no issues. That is good. But now the more I think of it, I think I like the idea of adding a prefix or suffix to all the files in the new project such as project job number. Would help keep track of everything.

There must be some logic code to rename every part/drawing and assembly in a project and keep all files linked together??

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 4 of 6
RobJV
in reply to: SeanFarr

There is a non-vault copy design - cannot remember anymore if it is in the SDK folder or part of Inventor.  Anyways, I am a single user and I use Vault.  Why not just install Vault and do a copy-design on your project - you can add a suffix to all your files.  You don't even have to use vault for anything more.

Rob

Message 5 of 6
SeanFarr
in reply to: RobJV

Haha, that is a good question, I don't actually know anything about Vault except that is a check out/check in file protection software. I dont know any of the features or how it even works. When I got hired, I asked my resellar how to go about setting it up, and he ask me about our office, found out I was the only CAD user and said there is no need for it cause its main function was to protect from users editing the same files.

Do you have it installed on a server? I think Vault has some server requirements that would require us to update. 

If vault can change projects, then there is probably a logic code floating around somewhere. Less software to use the better I think. But I will investigate Vault, if it can do a copy design as you say, it might be worthwhile to install Vault locally and use that feature.

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr

Message 6 of 6

Hi SeanFarr

You can use the iLogic Design Copy tool. It is included in the 2012 and 2013 versions. It will copy and update the internal links of the frame. Note that you don't need to have used iLogic to use the iLogic Design Copy tool.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/3364-Show_Me_3364/3365-Show_Me_3365/3747-iLogic3...

The Copy Design tool in the SDK will work as well.

Paul covers both of these tool here:

http://cadsetterout.com/inventor-tutorials/the-secrets-of-copying-assembly-files/

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report