Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File name

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rob86
803 Views, 8 Replies

File name

Hello,

When I rename a part, the iproperties field under project>part number does not change. If there is a drawing for the part, the part number in the drawing reflects the old part number.

Can I tell inventor to rename the part automatically to the file name as seen in windows explorer?

Can I set it to rename automatically in the tree in an assembly environment?

I'm using Inventor 2013.

Thanks for reading.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: rob86

hi

if you rename the part in windows explorer say, then at the same time edit the iProperties (can be done RMB in windows explorer as well while you are there).

but, alternatively if you are working in an assembly, then you can either just do an open, "save as" & then replace sequence on the part or better if you do a "save and replace" on the part which will copy, name and replace on the part you are needing to change the name of.

in these you will have the old part still that you can choose to delete after or overwrite with another file later if you want to.

you can also use design assistant to rename your parts, whether individually or en mass. this can maintain links, copy / replace etc etc.

just pick the method that suits your specific needs.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

How are you renaming parts?

Is this a content center part? (or was it at one time) There was a bug a few years ago that was doing this.. I "thought" it was fixed for everything but content center parts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 9
Cadmanto

If you have vault, and rename there, during the rename process in the dialog window there is an "Update"

selection box.  If you check that the property will update under the project tab inside of the properties.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 9
rob86

You listed a few methods that should work. Save and replace looks like the best one.

I do not have Vault installed, so renaming files "en masse" with design assistant is not an option from what I understand.

Would that be correct?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
rob86
in reply to: mcgyvr

I was renaming parts in explorer, (not content center parts).

Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr

@Anonymous.ind wrote:

I was renaming parts in explorer, (not content center parts).

boom..there is the problem... rename in Inventor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9
rob86
in reply to: mcgyvr

Boom!

I don't follow you.

You mean I should hit >file>open and rename the files in the window?

Please clarify. Thanks.

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@Anonymous.ind wrote:

I do not have Vault installed, so renaming files "en masse" with design assistant is not an option from what I understand.

Would that be correct?

No.  Design Assistant is an alternative if you are not running Vault.

Use Design Assistant.  Do not use Windows Explorer as WE has no knowledge of the hyperlinks Inventor creates between Inventor files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report