Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FILE IS CHECKED OUT BY ANOTHER USER

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1519 Views, 12 Replies

FILE IS CHECKED OUT BY ANOTHER USER

Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the changes. I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using inventor although it is installed in other machines. I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really like to understand why it does this. Cheers -- James Robertson (Media Manager) Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est Kinellar Aberdeenshire AB21 0RX Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 Web: www.zertech.com
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What type project are you using (Single user, Shared, or Semi-Isolated)? -- IV R9, SP1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "James Robertson" wrote in message news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... > Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am > working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the changes. > I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using > inventor although it is installed in other machines. > > I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really > like to understand why it does this. > > Cheers > > -- > James Robertson (Media Manager) > > Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) > Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est > Kinellar > Aberdeenshire > AB21 0RX > > Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 > Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 > > Web: www.zertech.com > >
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

you might be using the multi project setting of the INV and other persons might have opened it and saved from there PC. so it acquires there name and it shows you that it has been checked out. You can remove that y using the single user project function. rahul "James Robertson" wrote in message news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... > Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am > working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the changes. > I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using > inventor although it is installed in other machines. > > I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really > like to understand why it does this. > > Cheers > > -- > James Robertson (Media Manager) > > Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) > Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est > Kinellar > Aberdeenshire > AB21 0RX > > Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 > Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 > > Web: www.zertech.com > >
Message 4 of 13
droopy

I too have experienced this problem. We have many user of inventor and are working in Semi-isolated. The file is not open or checked out to anyone else, but Inventor still says that it is. I have also opened a file that is located in my working directory and when I go to the file status, it shows that it needs to be resolved, even know the file was previously checked in and then out. On two occasions, the file has been completely removed from my working directory. The file just disappeared and was not located in the working directory or the resolved directory.
There are definitely issues with "Semi-isolated" projects.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Its a shared project -- James Robertson (Media Manager) Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est Kinellar Aberdeenshire AB21 0RX Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 Web: www.zertech.com "Kirk A." wrote in message news:41c0395a$1_2@newsprd01... > What type project are you using (Single user, Shared, or Semi-Isolated)? > > -- > IV R9, SP1 > Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 > 2 Gb ram > nVidia FX1000 > 6.14.10.6808Driver > 1260x1024x32 bit > > > "James Robertson" wrote in message > news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... >> Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am >> working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the > changes. >> I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using >> inventor although it is installed in other machines. >> >> I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really >> like to understand why it does this. >> >> Cheers >> >> -- >> James Robertson (Media Manager) >> >> Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) >> Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est >> Kinellar >> Aberdeenshire >> AB21 0RX >> >> Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 >> Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 >> >> Web: www.zertech.com >> >> > >
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

I am the only one using inventor -- James Robertson (Media Manager) Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est Kinellar Aberdeenshire AB21 0RX Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 Web: www.zertech.com "Rahul-INV9" wrote in message news:41c03a84_1@newsprd01... > you might be using the multi project setting of the INV and other persons > might have opened it and saved from there PC. so it acquires there name > and > it shows you that it has been checked out. > > You can remove that y using the single user project function. > > rahul > > "James Robertson" wrote in message > news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... >> Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am >> working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the > changes. >> I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using >> inventor although it is installed in other machines. >> >> I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really >> like to understand why it does this. >> >> Cheers >> >> -- >> James Robertson (Media Manager) >> >> Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) >> Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est >> Kinellar >> Aberdeenshire >> AB21 0RX >> >> Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 >> Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 >> >> Web: www.zertech.com >> >> > >
Message 7 of 13
nathan.alday

James,
Does it say who it's checked-out to? I occasionally get the same message as you, only to find out that it's already checked out - to ME! Go figure. I'm getting better at remembering to check things in before I close, but not always...

- Nate Alday
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

If you get stuck and in a hurry, there is a program in my web site for releasing the checkouts. http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iCode aldayna wrote: >James, >Does it say who it's checked-out to? I occasionally get the same message as you, only to find out that it's already checked out - to ME! Go figure. I'm getting better at remembering to check things in before I close, but not always... > >- Nate Alday > >
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

On a recent contract job with a customer, I have experienced this with shared mode also. My checkout name is "DLJ", and oftenwhen I reopen a file that I have worked on the day previous, and I get the error message that "this file is checked out by "DLJ" and cannot be saved. Fixable, but irritating none the less.... Dennis Jeffrey Inventor 9 SP1 droopy wrote: >I too have experienced this problem. We have many user of inventor and are working in Semi-isolated. The file is not open or checked out to anyone else, but Inventor still says that it is. I have also opened a file that is located in my working directory and when I go to the file status, it shows that it needs to be resolved, even know the file was previously checked in and then out. On two occasions, the file has been completely removed from my working directory. The file just disappeared and was not located in the working directory or the resolved directory. >There are definitely issues with "Semi-isolated" projects. > > -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Charles, Great program, but the Inventor code still needs fixing... :) Dennis cbliss wrote: > If you get stuck and in a hurry, there is a program in my web site for > releasing the checkouts. > http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iCode > > aldayna wrote: > >> James, >> Does it say who it's checked-out to? I occasionally get the same >> message as you, only to find out that it's already checked out - to >> ME! Go figure. I'm getting better at remembering to check things in >> before I close, but not always... >> >> - Nate Alday >> >> -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

I, too, feel your pain. I've noticed that this happens if I try to copy an assembly + its children using pack & Go. Also, any time I manually move a file from one folder to another using explorer, it'll do the same thing. It tells me that I can't check out the file because it's checked out to . . . me. hrmm... I have a feeling it's got something to do with the checkout file path not matching the actual file path, or something. It is kinduva pain, and I wish I had a better solution than just stealing the checkout from yourself, but hopefully this at least gives you a reason why this might be happening. Good luck and happy trails. -Bryan "James Robertson" wrote in message news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... > Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am > working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the changes. > I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using > inventor although it is installed in other machines. > > I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really > like to understand why it does this. > > Cheers > > -- > James Robertson (Media Manager) > > Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) > Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est > Kinellar > Aberdeenshire > AB21 0RX > > Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 > Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 > > Web: www.zertech.com > >
Message 12 of 13
lrgoodger

This issue is becoming a real pain for me.  Some how, I have two user names.  I went into tools/application options and in the General tab I changed the username to LRG so it would put the correct thing in the blanks on the drawings.  Now sometimes stuff I check out is checked out to LRG and sometimes it is checked out to Rgoodger (also me), which is what it was using for me before I put the LRG in.  There must be another place to set the user name, but I cannot find it.  I hope it is not something that was put in during installation that cannot be changed without re-installing.

Message 13 of 13
jletcher
in reply to: lrgoodger

Try This...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report