Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

*James Robertson
Message 1 of 13 (664 Views)

FILE IS CHECKED OUT BY ANOTHER USER

664 Views, 12 Replies
12-15-2004 01:35 AM
Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the changes. I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using inventor although it is installed in other machines. I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really like to understand why it does this. Cheers -- James Robertson (Media Manager) Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est Kinellar Aberdeenshire AB21 0RX Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 Web: www.zertech.com
*Kirk A.
Message 2 of 13 (664 Views)

Re: FILE IS CHECKED OUT BY ANOTHER USER

12-15-2004 05:14 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
What type project are you using (Single user, Shared, or Semi-Isolated)? -- IV R9, SP1 Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 2 Gb ram nVidia FX1000 6.14.10.6808Driver 1260x1024x32 bit "James Robertson" wrote in message news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... > Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am > working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the changes. > I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using > inventor although it is installed in other machines. > > I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really > like to understand why it does this. > > Cheers > > -- > James Robertson (Media Manager) > > Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) > Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est > Kinellar > Aberdeenshire > AB21 0RX > > Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 > Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 > > Web: www.zertech.com > >
*Rahul-INV9
Message 3 of 13 (664 Views)

12-15-2004 05:16 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
you might be using the multi project setting of the INV and other persons might have opened it and saved from there PC. so it acquires there name and it shows you that it has been checked out. You can remove that y using the single user project function. rahul "James Robertson" wrote in message news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... > Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am > working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the changes. > I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using > inventor although it is installed in other machines. > > I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really > like to understand why it does this. > > Cheers > > -- > James Robertson (Media Manager) > > Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) > Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est > Kinellar > Aberdeenshire > AB21 0RX > > Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 > Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 > > Web: www.zertech.com > >
Distinguished Contributor
droopy
Message 4 of 13 (665 Views)

12-15-2004 06:12 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
I too have experienced this problem. We have many user of inventor and are working in Semi-isolated. The file is not open or checked out to anyone else, but Inventor still says that it is. I have also opened a file that is located in my working directory and when I go to the file status, it shows that it needs to be resolved, even know the file was previously checked in and then out. On two occasions, the file has been completely removed from my working directory. The file just disappeared and was not located in the working directory or the resolved directory.
There are definitely issues with "Semi-isolated" projects.
*James Robertson
Message 5 of 13 (665 Views)

12-15-2004 06:47 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
Its a shared project -- James Robertson (Media Manager) Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est Kinellar Aberdeenshire AB21 0RX Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 Web: www.zertech.com "Kirk A." wrote in message news:41c0395a$1_2@newsprd01... > What type project are you using (Single user, Shared, or Semi-Isolated)? > > -- > IV R9, SP1 > Dell PWS360, 2.6ghz, P4 > 2 Gb ram > nVidia FX1000 > 6.14.10.6808Driver > 1260x1024x32 bit > > > "James Robertson" wrote in message > news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... >> Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am >> working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the > changes. >> I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using >> inventor although it is installed in other machines. >> >> I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really >> like to understand why it does this. >> >> Cheers >> >> -- >> James Robertson (Media Manager) >> >> Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) >> Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est >> Kinellar >> Aberdeenshire >> AB21 0RX >> >> Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 >> Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 >> >> Web: www.zertech.com >> >> > >
*James Robertson
Message 6 of 13 (665 Views)

12-15-2004 06:47 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
I am the only one using inventor -- James Robertson (Media Manager) Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est Kinellar Aberdeenshire AB21 0RX Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 Web: www.zertech.com "Rahul-INV9" wrote in message news:41c03a84_1@newsprd01... > you might be using the multi project setting of the INV and other persons > might have opened it and saved from there PC. so it acquires there name > and > it shows you that it has been checked out. > > You can remove that y using the single user project function. > > rahul > > "James Robertson" wrote in message > news:41c0046b$1_3@newsprd01... >> Could anyone tell me why on ocassion Inventor tells me that the file I am >> working on is checked out by another user and that I cant save the > changes. >> I find this a bit bizzare as I am the only person in the office using >> inventor although it is installed in other machines. >> >> I realise that all I have to do is steal the checkout, but I would really >> like to understand why it does this. >> >> Cheers >> >> -- >> James Robertson (Media Manager) >> >> Zeroth Technology Ltd (ZERTECH) >> Unit 11 Blackburn Ind Est >> Kinellar >> Aberdeenshire >> AB21 0RX >> >> Tel: +44(0) 1224 790330 >> Fax: +44(0) 1224 790430 >> >> Web: www.zertech.com >> >> > >
Active Contributor
nathan.alday
Message 7 of 13 (665 Views)

12-15-2004 07:32 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
James,
Does it say who it's checked-out to? I occasionally get the same message as you, only to find out that it's already checked out - to ME! Go figure. I'm getting better at remembering to check things in before I close, but not always...

- Nate Alday
*cbliss
Message 8 of 13 (665 Views)

12-15-2004 08:01 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
If you get stuck and in a hurry, there is a program in my web site for releasing the checkouts. http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iCode aldayna wrote: >James, >Does it say who it's checked-out to? I occasionally get the same message as you, only to find out that it's already checked out - to ME! Go figure. I'm getting better at remembering to check things in before I close, but not always... > >- Nate Alday > >
*Dennis Jeffrey
Message 9 of 13 (665 Views)

12-15-2004 10:49 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
On a recent contract job with a customer, I have experienced this with shared mode also. My checkout name is "DLJ", and oftenwhen I reopen a file that I have worked on the day previous, and I get the error message that "this file is checked out by "DLJ" and cannot be saved. Fixable, but irritating none the less.... Dennis Jeffrey Inventor 9 SP1 droopy wrote: >I too have experienced this problem. We have many user of inventor and are working in Semi-isolated. The file is not open or checked out to anyone else, but Inventor still says that it is. I have also opened a file that is located in my working directory and when I go to the file status, it shows that it needs to be resolved, even know the file was previously checked in and then out. On two occasions, the file has been completely removed from my working directory. The file just disappeared and was not located in the working directory or the resolved directory. >There are definitely issues with "Semi-isolated" projects. > > -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
*Dennis Jeffrey
Message 10 of 13 (665 Views)

12-15-2004 10:50 AM in reply to: *James Robertson
Charles, Great program, but the Inventor code still needs fixing... :smileyhappy: Dennis cbliss wrote: > If you get stuck and in a hurry, there is a program in my web site for > releasing the checkouts. > http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/iCode > > aldayna wrote: > >> James, >> Does it say who it's checked-out to? I occasionally get the same >> message as you, only to find out that it's already checked out - to >> ME! Go figure. I'm getting better at remembering to check things in >> before I close, but not always... >> >> - Nate Alday >> >> -- Dennis Jeffrey, Inventor 9 Professional user Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Omicron Electronics - Center for Design Excellence http://www.omicronmi.com http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!