Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Association between 2d and 3d

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Oakcutter
245 Views, 5 Replies

File Association between 2d and 3d

I am using AutoCAD Design Suite Standard 2014. My question is a simple one but not for me apparently, How do you make the 3d model in inventor reflect drawing changes made in 2d? Thanks,
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Oakcutter

I am not sure I understand.

The 2D is derived from the 3D.

What are you changing in the 2D?

You can Retrieve Dimensions and use the Model dimensions in the 2D to edit the 3D.

Better attach an example (your 2D and 3D) to illustrate exactly what you are trying to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Oakcutter
in reply to: JDMather

Actually in this case we have old AutoCad 2d drawings that need to be converted to 3d. So I opened my 2d drawing in mechanical, copied/pasted into a 2d sketch in Inventor. From that sketch I derived the 3d by rotating around an axis. I assume that somehow I need to reference the detail 2d drawing in inventor if that's possible?
Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Oakcutter

I would seldom copy and paste from AutoCAD to Inventor (especially for beginners) as the AutoCAD was frequently not done correclty.

Did you dimension and constrain the 2D sketch in Inventor after pasting?

Create associative 2D dwg or idw in Inventor from the ipt.

Forget the obsolete 2D AutoCAD moving forward.

Attach your files here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 6

Hi Oakcutter,

You can create a link to the original *.dwg file by going to the Manage tab > Insert panel > Insert Object button. This tool allows you to place a 3rd Party node in the browser that will contain a link to your original file. It will not be an associative reference though. Meaning that if you were to delete some of the geometry in AutoCAD, it will not update the Inventor file. But it will allow you to document the source drawing in your Inventor file.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 6

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards,

Oakcutter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report