Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHSCS protrude from the surface

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ifuks
977 Views, 2 Replies

FHSCS protrude from the surface

I noticed it is not fixed in IV 2009. If countersink clearance hole is created for inch screw and then standard flat head socket cup screw is inserted it protrudes .01-.02 from the surface. To fix this hole feature needs to be edited manually. I understand that excel file can be modified to edit definition but then why not let ADSK do it? Am I missing something here?
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: ifuks

Because the actual height of the flat head is different for a socket head versus regular (slotted or phillips) screws.

Like for example the height of the flat head socket cup screw for 3/4" is .396 but a regular flat head height is .372

Don't blame autodesk, blame ANSI or whomever first dimensioned screws.
For autodesk to fix it correctly they need to have different options for countersink height/diameter based on head types used.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
ifuks
in reply to: ifuks

They have "Fastener type" to take care of that. There is "Flat Head Machine Screw(82)" and "Flat Head Machine Screw(100)". Why not to add "Flat Head Socket Cap Screw"? There is only 6 fastener types available in this dialog. They should at least cover all fastener types they put in CC. This is not idle complaint by the way. This is a GOTCHA build in IV that one should be aware of. Stuff like that causes costly mistakes. How would you like to design heat treated flat skid plate attached with FSHCS and then find that screws protrude? Makes for a good chuckle on the shop floor.

Thanks for your answer.

Igor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report