Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fellows stub teeth in Inventor gear designer

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nick
1619 Views, 4 Replies

Fellows stub teeth in Inventor gear designer

Hi,

Has anyone got any advice for generating fellows stub teeth (6/8, 8/10) teeth using IV gear generator?  Is anyone out there using any other software which can be recommended?

thanks,

Nick

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
karthur1
in reply to: nick

Are you actually manufacturing the gear profile?
Message 3 of 5
nick
in reply to: karthur1

Yes, we are cutting these gears. What I require however is calculation software since often they have correction factors and I need to work out MOT (measure over teeth) and dimensions over pins.
Message 4 of 5
karthur1
in reply to: nick

Inventor will generate the involute profile for you.  I have experimented with it, but I am just not comfortable with it.  I don't understand the various factors and I cant find information on them that I can make sense of. If I have to generate the profile, I dont use Inventor to do it. 

We cut alot of large gear teeth here and I have to develop the involute profile for each one.  We give this profile to a tooling supplier and they produce a cutter based on this profile. The gears we cut are for various standards and can have different backlash and/or tip relief (parabolic).  The software I use is GearTeq (by Camnetics).  They also have a GearTrax AI that will generate the involute profile, but with the GearTeq you can create a free form gear. With either of these, the involute profile can be brought into Inventor.

Let me know if you need help with these.

Message 5 of 5
karthur1
in reply to: karthur1

Nick,

I'm not really fimilar with this gear so I looked it up in the Mach Handbook.  It says its an "infrequently" used gear.  They actually say to reference 18th edition or earlier for the tooth dimensions.  I have the 25th ed.

I tried to develop a Fellows Stub in GearTeq.  I can get a like 8/8 or 10/10, but not 6/8 or 8/10.  Here is a video of the gears that I made just for a test.  During the video, on the left hand side, I scrool thru the data for the gear so you can see what information GearTeq will give you.  You can save this out to a .xls spreadsheet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report