Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature patterning along non circular, non rectangular

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1245 Views, 15 Replies

Feature patterning along non circular, non rectangular

Hi,

I'm new to inventor!

I need to repeat a hole inside a circumference and don't know:

1. How to define a path that is exactly like the circumference, inside the geometry face, and with defined distance from sides

2. How to repeat a hole along a path which is neither circular nor rectangular

If to use sweep, I must define a path so this return me to fist problem, creating closed loop. Also, I'm not sure that sweep tool is for hole repeating at all. Standard patterning tools won't work here, hope there is a way to define general path.

What is the right technique for this matter please? If my description is not clear (I'm non native with English) please open the attached image.

Thank you in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Please attach your .ipt file.

Message 3 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to inventor!

1. How to define a path that is exactly like the circumference, inside the geometry face, and with defined distance from sides

2. How to repeat a hole along a path which is neither circular nor rectangular

1. Project Geometry and Offset.
2. Curve driven pattern (you might read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for fast and kind responses, by reading pdf I still can't figure out the answer.

I attached the ipt file. I'm working on a 1.5m height wooden robot. Using Inventor started at the middle of the work. First I worked with CamBam and simply designed to machine. I turned to Inventor because I need to machine the head, which has a plate with holes around it, then columns that would be inserted in the holes build up the face.

In the ipt file, the plate is presented. It has the column hole. I don't know how to command inventor, so that these columns' holes repeat in equal distances with regard to the circumference lines, which are both arc and straight lines.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Best Regards.

Message 5 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

.... by reading pdf I still can't figure out the answer.

Go back and read it again.  Your Sketch1 is not constrained or making use of obvious symmetry about the origin.  You should master sketch constraints before moving on to curve driven patterns.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 16
JDMather

I also noticed that you have extra lines over lines and extra dimensions that are not needed if you use symmetry.

(Side note) Evidence why Fusion should not be a released product.

Message 7 of 16
JDMather

Is something like this what you are after (see attached image).

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for instructions,

>Is something like this what you are after (see attached image).

Which one? in last point I can't find any attachments unfortunately.

I'm a software engineer and by logic of life happened that I must finish a skeleton of a simple robot for game purposes.

Robot description:

The only motion capability is on left hand containing only 5 servo motors, 3 joints, the right hand just keeps a tray containing a ball. The actual part to be made is a head, containing a tablet pc. The sketch I sent was to depict my abstract question, I'll try to formulate it better now:

Question: is it possible to pattern a hole a long the circumference of a non-symmetric object please?

Answer (guessed): the circumference must be copied, scaled down inside same sketch to give path, then use sweep.

Not sure if the answer worsk: don't know the method/tools to perform suggested operation.

I attach the image of robot skeleton under work (that must this week get the head and then be covered by leather), to hopefully get your general suggestions of forum Gurus too.

I only hope I'm clear with my writing, I apologize if non accurate English there (I'm not native).

Thank you for kind help and attention.Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for instructions,

>Is something like this what you are after (see attached image).

Which one? in last point I can't find any attachments unfortunately.

Message 10 of 16
JDMather

Question: is it possible to pattern a hole a long the circumference of a non-symmetric object please?

Answer (guessed): the circumference must be copied, scaled down inside same sketch to give path, then use sweep.

Answer to question - Yes, but not exactly how you guess.

Use the Offset in sketch to create the pattern path.
Do not use Sweep.

Use Rectangular Pattern command (really should be named Curved Driven Pattern (where the "curve" is often rectangular, but not required)).  This comes up often enough that I guess maybe they should have created a completely different icon for curve driven patterns rather than include in the Rectangular Pattern command.

The document I linked does not replace classroom based training.
You can probably find many other examples here by searching on the terms, "curve driven patter", but first I would master basic sketching using symmetry about the origin where appropriate and learning how to create fully constrained sketches.  This is similar to the actual manufacturing process of establishing machine datums, geometric and dimensional parameters.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you! Know I now have the searching key word "Curve Driven Pattern"!

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

>first I would master basic sketching using symmetry about the origin where appropriate and learning how to create fully constrained sketches.

Thank you! I appreciate the detail and helpful information you kindly gave. I will do as instructed.

Message 13 of 16
JDMather

Was the picture I posted something like what you were after?
I can post step-by-step instructions, but I prefer to have all the details known for the problem descrescription before going into detail on the instructions.  Most new users post here one time and then disappear when it becomes apparent that they will have to do a little work.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

>I can post step-by-step instructions,

Well thank you very much, to me the right direction is enough to start searching, I like to do 'my own homework' by me 😉

I'm already very grateful of your help, it was my second topic to this forum and at least based on the "first time video answer" I got for my previous post, I can say you are the real "Inventors" and innovators !

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 16
JDMather

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly! Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report