Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA stress analysis convergance after update to 2014 update 2

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
howardlee306
229 Views, 2 Replies

FEA stress analysis convergance after update to 2014 update 2

Hello, we have upgraded to update 2 "DL22744369_64-bit". We noticed that the update notes said:

"FEA Results incorrect compared to previous releases"

Which kind of scare me, but I was rerunning a steel beam test to compare old to new and I noticed that before the update (and on previous versions of inventor) using various methods I could get the convergance in all results to be less than 10%. However with this new update I CANNOT get them to be consistant. Some are under 10% some jump as high as 50%.

i even performed a test where I just took one steel, mild beam from the content center fixed the ends and placed a force in the middle (very simple test). The max deflection was right on target but no matter how many h-refinements I added or subtracted, how I divide the mesh up, ect, the convergance rates are all over the map (0-50%). 

Has anyone else seen this behavior since the update?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: howardlee306

@raymondlee306 wrote:

"FEA Results incorrect compared to previous releases"

I think this refers only to a problem with assembly FEA in 2014, not to a problem with part FEA or any problem with previous releases.

If you are seeing something different with part FEA - you should attach your files here so that others can verify the behavior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
howardlee306
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD.

I was using an assembly (part brought into an assembly) for that simple test. I think I got if figured out though. I deleted the whole file which had the results from before the update and started over and it seems to be working as expected now. Maybe some of the previous data was corrupted by whatever was wrong? I'm not 100% sure but I've been playing with it now for a few hours and comparing some results done by hand and am seeing the results in Inventor more intune to what I am calculating by hand. So my confidence is growing. We have to go back and look at quite a few steel structures however based on this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report