Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA material styles - Shear Modulus?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Cnoj
2603 Views, 10 Replies

FEA material styles - Shear Modulus?

I set up a new material from within FEA Environment by double clicking materials in the browser tree then openign the styles editor. I filled in every box; Yield str, UTS, Youngs modulus etc. but there was no input for Shear Modulus.

Am I just missing it? When I generate an FEA report it lists a Shear Modulus for my material despite me not entering one..

Inventor 2013/Pro SP2
SimCFD 2015 SP2
Win7-64bit
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
henderh
in reply to: Cnoj

Hi Cnoj,

We can calcuate the Shear Modulus via Young's Modulus and Poisson's ratio:

G= E/2(1+nu)

Where G is the shear modulus of elasticity (sometimes called modulus of rigidity), E is Young's modulus and nu is Poisson's ratio.

Hope this helps!

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 11
PeteGlobalAu
in reply to: henderh

Hi

WHen entering the Physical Mechanical properties of a material, I cannot change Shear Modulus.

My preference is to enter Youngs and Poisson and let Inventor use the default equation (G= E/2(1+nu)) howere this doesnot seem to work. 

Here is my workflow:

Inventor Materials Library: Select CFRP.

In Document Materials use the edit icon.

Physical tab: Enter Youngs 19.3 GPa and Poissons 0.39. Shear Modulus delete. The Shear Modulus repopulates at 53000.000MPa.

To fault find, I would then enter other values of Young or Poissons but the Shear Modulus defaults to 53000.000 MPa.

Please help.

i7-2600k
Quadro K4000
16Gb
Message 4 of 11
blair
in reply to: PeteGlobalAu

It's calculated as in the post from the ADSK employee, it still unfortunately hasn't changed where we can enter this value.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
PeteGlobalAu
in reply to: blair

Blair, thanks for your reply.

The Shear Modulus value displayed is 53000MPa regardless of entering a variety of Young's values...so it cannot be calculated. Added to this is the results of the simulation are giving deflections substantially lower than expected so I suspect that the material properties are incorrect. 19.3GPa/(2*(1+.3) does not equal 50000MPa.

Are you saying: regardless of what is displayed in shear modulus, Inventor will use: Young's, Poisons and the calculated value?

I suspect my workflow is incorrect which is why I posted my workflow. 

Thanks

Pete

i7-2600k
Quadro K4000
16Gb
Message 6 of 11
blair
in reply to: PeteGlobalAu

Inventor calculates the Shear Modulus via Young's Modulus and Poisson's ratio: G= E/2(1+nu) Where G is the shear modulus of elasticity (sometimes called modulus of rigidity), E is Young's modulus and nu is Poisson's ratio

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 11
PeteGlobalAu

Blair

Thanks for reply. I also followed the recommend threads on the right side of the post and see this is a known issue and irrelevant.

I'll continue to source the error in the simulation other than Shear Modulus values.

P

i7-2600k
Quadro K4000
16Gb
Message 8 of 11
LT.Rusty

I'd love to be able to just manually enter the shear modulus.  I've got plenty of material data sheets that specify the shear modulus but don't give me anything to work with as far as Young's and Poisson's.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
blair
in reply to: LT.Rusty

I hear you, guess that's why I use Simulation Mechanical a lot.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11
mmoucka

Thank You for answers.

At first, I'm sorry for my English - self-taught person.

I'm programing now a macro for automatic export and import of material parameters to and from a .txt files and can't find the Shear Modulus like a material parameter. So You answer show up the reason. If I understand good, so it is not necessary, because in stress analysis is this parameter not used from material table, but is calculated from Young and Poisson directly at the analysis. Is it right ?

Message 11 of 11
blair
in reply to: mmoucka

Yes, that is correct, Inventor calculates this value at the time of processing the FEA.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report