Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA: Is there Deformation/Yielding Analysis?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
khowe
1064 Views, 8 Replies

FEA: Is there Deformation/Yielding Analysis?

I'm designing a part made of thin aluminum, used for alignment. It will be bent in different directions to do this. Is there a way the FEA on Inventor can tell me if I'm deforming the sheet permanent (plastic), or elastically?

Thanks,
Kevin
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jpealo
in reply to: khowe

Inventor Simulation only has linear static analisys. You need non-linear analisys to test things on the end of the stress/strain curve and for plasticity. Inventor FEA will tell you when you're there, but won't give you results beyond that point. There are a number of companies that sell these packages...Ansys & Algor are the only two that play nice with Inventor.
Message 3 of 9
khowe

Thanks. At what point do I know I'm there? Where do I get that information?

Or do I just look where the safety factor is less than one?
Message 4 of 9
skumar26

that is the good question. I also want to know the same thing, at what point we can say that it is permanat deformation or temporary.

At present I am considering the deformation after yield point as permananent and before yield point as temporary the yiled point is already in the styles for some material but I am not sure it is the right way to do.

Any help on this topic would be really appreciated
Message 5 of 9
jpealo

You need to take a class or get a good book on the subject. This isn't simple stuff. Amazon has a number of books on the subject and your reseller may know something about the subject. Inventor does show deformation as it's one of the plot, but again, beyond the yeild point of the material, the results are invalid. As well you must know that your mesh is consistent.
Message 6 of 9
mofid_mahdi
in reply to: skumar26

Hi

Apparently, Inventor can handle linear elastic materials only. Therefore it is recommended to employ another FEM software such as ANSYS, ADINA and/or ABAQUS.

You may export the problem geometry to a format accepted by the other FEM software.

For instance, ANSYS workbench can give the required solution of plastic deformation.

I hope this will solve the problem

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 9
kacper.suchomski

Inventor Nastran supports many types of analyses, including nonlinear analyses.

Kacper Suchomski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! And Fusion Simulation (cloud-based) too.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
Cris-Ideas

This is very simpel

If stress exceeds yield stress for the material deformation will be plastic.

So if in results  in any part of the model stress exceeds yield stress deformation in this region is expected to be plastic.

(this obviously depends on how close analysis represents real case.).

Cris.

Cris,
https://simply.engineering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report