Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA 64 bit problem

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
ing
Contributor
1514 Views, 45 Replies

FEA 64 bit problem

We have recently switch from XP to win7. Basically 32 to 64 bit. The simulation results in the 32bit vertion of inventor has always been second to none. But the new (new to us) 64 bit vertion has yeiled some false results. more worriingly the results indicate that the model is in fact good enough to do the job. I have attached a document outlining my findings.

I have contacted my software supplier and they reported it to autodesk. Autodesk has in turn said that the problem is noted but the case has been closed.  I have no problem accepting a minor deviation, even 5% but the results can have an error of 0% to 80%.

If anyone knows a cure or has had this type of trouble, please let me know.

45 REPLIES 45
Message 41 of 46

Hello Chris,

Could you confirm that this problem is solved in Update 2 for SP1?

If so, I still see different results when using the proposed registry setting and when not.

It has even got worse on my laptop. When I generated a Stress Analysis report, Inventor crashes.

I am thinking about removing Update 2 en keeping the registry setting.

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 42 of 46

Roelof,

According to all the info I have, yes there should be no difference between the results obtained after either installing Update2 or from setting the registry key WizOutputContactMaxPoints=2. The change included in the update simply does the same thing at the code level.

I've asked for further information/verification about all this, but in the meantime, do you have any additional info to show what you are seeing ? Perhaps a simple dataset that shows the differing results ?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 43 of 46
henderh
in reply to: Roelof.Feijen

Hi Roelof,

The following test case shows that Update 2 contains the fix equivalent to the registry key setting.

A rectangular plate has bonded contacts to the rollers, and a force applied to an edge created at the center of the plate.

Notice that before Update 2 is applied, and without the registry key, the bonded contacts act too stiff and doesn't allow the ends to freely bow upwards:

Update2.png

After Update 2 is applied, the bonded contacts no longer act too stiff:

Update2.png

We get the same result if the regkey is applied after Update 2:

Update2_plus_regkey.png

Also, the maximum stress is in the correct location and expected value:

Max_stress_correct.png

Attached are the assembly model files.  The result files will be attached separately.

I hope this helps,

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 44 of 46
henderh
in reply to: henderh

The result files attached.

Hugh Henderson
Message 45 of 46
Roelof.Feijen
in reply to: henderh

Hello Hugh,

I have researched your example and calculations. I can confirm that there is no difference between Update 1 with registry setting and Update 2 (with or without regsitry setting). But I still have problems with my own example. I get different results. I can send you the example and two movies (each about 70 MB) on how to reproduce the different results. Send me an email rfeijenATcadacDOTcom and I will send you the movies and sample files.

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 46 of 46
henderh
in reply to: Roelof.Feijen

Hi Roelof,

I just wanted to follow-up to the forum that we worked togther and agree the issue you were seeing wasn't caused by Update 2.

Thank you for your time.

Hugh Henderson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report