Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA 64 bit problem

45 REPLIES 45
SOLVED
Message 1 of 46
ing
Contributor
1531 Views, 45 Replies

FEA 64 bit problem

We have recently switch from XP to win7. Basically 32 to 64 bit. The simulation results in the 32bit vertion of inventor has always been second to none. But the new (new to us) 64 bit vertion has yeiled some false results. more worriingly the results indicate that the model is in fact good enough to do the job. I have attached a document outlining my findings.

I have contacted my software supplier and they reported it to autodesk. Autodesk has in turn said that the problem is noted but the case has been closed.  I have no problem accepting a minor deviation, even 5% but the results can have an error of 0% to 80%.

If anyone knows a cure or has had this type of trouble, please let me know.

45 REPLIES 45
Message 2 of 46
cwhetten
in reply to: ing

Thank you for posting your analysis.  The results are very disturbing.  We will have to exercise extreme caution when using the simulation module.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 3 of 46
ing
Contributor
in reply to: cwhetten

I have conducted more comparison simulations on inventor 2014 64 bit and inventor 2012 32 bit. here are some screenshots of my simulations. 

Inventor 2012 von mis:

Stress inv2012.jpg

Inventor 2014 von mis:

Stress inv2014.jpg

The expected stress at this location is 37 Ksi. This stress value was calculated via the traditional method. This means that the new inventor is wrong by 36%!!! The simulations are identical. it is the same model, same material and the same forces and constrains. It is bizzare that I am the first to report this problem. if you are have a simmilar issure please post it on this thread. I will be adding some more examples later on.

Message 4 of 46
blair

Unbelievable!

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 46
ing
Contributor
in reply to: blair

I have done some more analysis comparisons. Below is an analysis performed in Inventor 2012:

Inventor 2012 7083 beam stress.jpg

And here is the exact same analysis on Inventor 2014:

Inventor 2014 7083 beam STRESS.jpg

Message 6 of 46
ing
Contributor

Even small analysis are yeilding false results!!! This one is 3x3 square tubing with some plates on it.

Inventor 2012:

Inventor 2012 WO28438 STRESS.jpg

and now Inventor 2014:

Inventor 2014 WO28438 Stress.jpg

From 30.44 Ksi to 17.43 for the exact same analysis, almost half. anyone else has this problem!?

Message 7 of 46
ing
Contributor

If there were any doubts this one will clear them up! This is the worst one to date.

Inventor 2012:

Inventor 2012 WO27522 STRESS.jpg

Inventor 2014:

Inventor 2014 WO27522 STRESS.jpg

The 2012 vertion gave us a max of 88.77ksi. The 2014 vertion gave us 0.12ksi...... with the EXACT same model. I simply ran the simulation in 2012 and then re-ran it in 2014. Thats an error of 99.8%. Please autosesk... make a patch for the analysis enviroment. The worst part is that Inventor used to school Solid Works in the analysis department.

Message 8 of 46
blair
in reply to: cwhetten

I thought we could elevate this to Support for them to look at it.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 46
GSE_Dan_A

This scares the bejeezus out of me (and I am sure many others). I suppose it is a good thing to NEVER take the results at face value. It is good practice to always make a prediction of where the stresses should occur and how the members will deform (compression, tension, bending, etc...)
GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 10 of 46
JDMather
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

It would be useful to have the actual part files that these results are taken from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 46
bob_holland

We have confirmed this as an issue and are working to resolve it ASAP.

At this time there is no known workaround.

If someone has one please post it.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 12 of 46
Al_RItchie
in reply to: bob_holland

'An issue' ? I'd say so! Here's hoping you guys can get to the bottom of it pretty sharpish.
Message 13 of 46
ing
Contributor
in reply to: bob_holland

Thank you Bob for confiming that Autodesk is working to resolve the issue. If you need any models or more information, I would be happy to help.

P.S. I installed Inventor 2014 32 bit on an XP computer and the results are still not correct. I originally thought that the 64 bit was the problem but it seems that it is not.

Message 14 of 46
Ray_Feiler

This data set was created in Inventor Pro 2014. Because I do not have access to Inventor Pro 2012, can someone STEP out the assembly and run a simulation to compare the results?

My attachments are missing, what is the size limit?

I can't add the attachments, the zipped file sizes are now all under 1 meg. What's up with that?

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 15 of 46
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Lets try this link out. http://a360.co/1fSePeQ

This is my first time using Autodesk 360 so let me know if this works. All IPT files are in a rolled up state and just ignore the missing content center folder message if you get it. All needed files should be there.

Message 16 of 46
Ray_Feiler

Here is a Autodesk 360 link to the full report.

http://a360.co/1dTt6XC

Message 17 of 46
nmt
Advocate

Message 18 of 46
ing
Contributor

Hello Ray,

Can you performe a pack and go on your assembly and upload it again. This will give me all of your simulation data.

Message 19 of 46
ing
Contributor

I see that your strurcure is frame generated. If you use the Frame analysis tool, you can acheave accurate results. you will not see stress concentrations but it will give you a good enough picture to see if the stresses add up compared to the other analysis. I have verified that the frame analysis is correct.

Message 20 of 46
Ray_Feiler

Thank you for taking a look and the tip. Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report