Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faro scan data import - what software?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
acanfield
1200 Views, 6 Replies

Faro scan data import - what software?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: acanfield

Autodesk Recap...

Its included with the Inventor suites. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
acanfield
in reply to: mcgyvr

thanks

recap will bring in the points but not a solid model - it's solid model which is required thanks.

Message 4 of 7
jalger
in reply to: acanfield

Hi Acanfield,

The Faro file type a pointcloud file type hence it IS thousands of Points... you will always get points no matter what program you import it in.

(Atleast to start with it will always be points)

If you watch the video you posted he even says it Captures points , NOT A SOLID.

That Said,

I know that it's possible to generate a mesh in 3DS MAX from a point cloud file, and the mesh can be made into a solid that can be imported into inventor.

But if the idea is to 3D print from it then just make the Printable STL inside of 3DS MAX.

I would suggest posting in the 3DS MAX discussion Group to see if anyone can help you with the process.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with 3DS MAX otherwise i would help you out.

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 5 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: jalger

Might also want to have a look into Project Memento, as well as the AutoDesk Labs in general - I think there's a couple of point cloud/mesh projects in there.  Naturally, not everything that can be represented in a point cloud will mesh cleanly or accurately.  A lot depends on the point cloud resolution, overall size, and complexity e.g. trying to mesh a stand of bamboo would likely fail miserably, whereas a prefab work trailer would probably come out quite well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 7
acanfield
in reply to: jalger

thanks, forgot to mention I wanted a solid!
Message 7 of 7
acanfield
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks

The sample data I have from the faro arm is in a few different formats.

What I've just tried is .obj in 3ds max, 1.3M verticies! - run the batch optimiser about 60 times & the obj now exports to Inventor, but the surface has errors - Duplicated Verticies, still number crunching as I type.

Regards

Andrew

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report