Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to update style - IV 2013 Pro

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tuliobarata
1246 Views, 8 Replies

Failed to update style - IV 2013 Pro

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble here with my materials, since i migrated from IVP2012 to IVP2013.

I migrated all my materials and colors as Help pages shows, but I lost many textures and density too. So I'm trying to update them all, using directly the INVENTOR MATERIAL LIBRARY, to get all the mats in the same library.

Those mats that arent with the right density, lost its Assets of appearance and physical, and when I try to edit it, i got a message "FAILED TO UPDATE STYLE" and i cant do nothing. I'm trying to edit them with all the assets already in the document, and even this way I got the error.

Even when i try to create a material, or just duplicate one and change the Assets I got the error too.

Is this a known error or just with me ? 🙂

I'm with all the design data in a network, with full permissions and with nobody using it at same time. In the project, there is only one library that is Inventor Material Library (for both, materials and appearances).

Using Iventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 with update 1.

I've attached one screen of when i got that message with the error:

000001.png

thanks

Túlio Barata

IV 2013
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: tuliobarata

I ran into this error many, many times when trying painfully to get our 2013 M&A library back to the state where our Material and Color styles were previously.  What you have to do is make sure that all Materials are purged out of the document before you try to work on one.  Change material to one that you know is good, then use the Purge tool to get rid of everything else.  Now change to the material that you want to work on and edit that and save it back to the document.  Then save it to your library.  Go through this all again for the next one.  The Material Browser doesn't always show everything that is in the document, so exit the browser and use the Purge tool.

You have my sympathy...

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 9
scottmoyse

There a couple of things to consider here:

• If you migrated your styles pre SP1.1 inc update 1, then ditch them. Create a new blank library and migrate them to that.
  • the other key thing here is don't modify the Inventor Materials Library. If you create any of your own materials don't add them to it, just add them to the custom library you've created for your migrated legacy styles.
  • For bulk updates & saves, use the legacy purge/update/save styles tool and not the new M&A dialogues.

Again I'm also sorry you have to go through this. Its a horrid process and one which happens everytime you need to add a new material. It gets worse if you've used mutiple material libraries across multiple products previously..

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 9
tuliobarata
in reply to: scottmoyse

Good morning all,

Thanks for both guys, sbixler and ScottMoyse.

I was doind something like that, but not in each material I were closing the material window and saving/purge. I'll try do it between each edit (btw are many edits....)

And ill try to import all over again with this update, because when I imported before, it was without any update on IV.

When i first update the material lib, I tried to create in a custom library, but i got so many errors that i gave up and add directly on Inventor material library, so now I'lll try to import again in a new lib, lets see if i got no errors with new update and doing that with some caution like you said.

Thanks very much again, to both!

Túlio Barata

IV 2013
Message 5 of 9
scottmoyse

cool glad to help. let us know how you get on.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 6 of 9
tuliobarata
in reply to: scottmoyse

Well, I was trying here now and for a while everything was going perfect, untill some minutes ago that i got many errors.

I created some materials to test, in a new library with some categories, and just as you said, i had to purge mats everytime so i didnt get many errors; Just some times that I moved some mats to another categories, then saved, purge, etc, and when I close/open the part ..It was in a different category again, but just being persistent this error was gone.

But now i got a serious error that mess with the weight of the part. When i change the mats from the combo in the title bar, the materials loose its Assets so the appearance goes to a generic one, and all materials stay with 1000kg/m³, what could mess with my assemblies in the final weight.

I did this these steps:

1 - Migrate again all mats from 2012 to a new library that i put in a network folder.

2 - I deleted some mats, I just kept some to test;

3 - Created some categories and organized them;

4 - Set all the ASSETS of the Stainless Steel folder (ACO INOX, those AISI). I set Physical and Appearance;

5 - I tested many times changing the materials between those stainless steel, and all was working great! I've purged, saved, closed IV, etc, and everything was there in its correct place.

6 - Set the Rubber material with the corrects ASSETS (BORRACHA), and again everything worked fine.

7 - Started to set the Carbon Steel ASTM A-36 Assets (ACO CARBONO), and everything worked. Again, save, purge, close, open, verify...and still working.

8 - Then i started to set other Carbon steel ASTM A-105, with a different physical asset exclusive to this material, but using the same appearance (ACO CARBONO) that i used for A36. So i did the usual, saved, purge, close, open...

And the only material that was working now were A36, all the stainless, rubber and other carbon steel lost its Assets so it changed the appearance to a generic one and density of all to 1000kg/m³.

9 - I tried to created another one (SAE 1050) and still the same problem...just the A36 is working.

So, I dont know what to do now, because i did the steps carefully and suddenly all the problems get back.

Is there any tip guys ? Maybe use one appearence asset different for each material or something like that,justo to make these materials usable.

here some screens of this error:

Img 01 - just created A36 and working great.

001.JPG

Img 02 - After all, when i change material com this combo (or just from the material window) it just its assets.

002.jpg

Img 03 - Lost asset, so density is wrong. And changed material to AISI304 but appearance do not change, still was with appearance of carbon still.

003.jpg

Img 04 - The property of the material, with no Assets;

004.JPG

Img 05 - Like I said on img02, even changing the material from here, it losts the Assets.

005.JPG

Thanks very much again!

Túlio Barata

IV 2013
Message 7 of 9
SBix26

I don't know what to tell you.  What you are describing is exactly what I experienced, too.  A library that seemed to be working fine suddenly has lost assets on some of the materials-- incredibly frustrating.  Even now, weeks after finally finishing with our materials library, one of my co-workers has found that some materials will not apply assets on his computer, but they work fine on mine.  All coming from the same library, which has not been altered in three weeks.

I fervently hope that Inventor 2014 and/or Windows 7 fixes this mess for us.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 8 of 9
tuliobarata
in reply to: SBix26

Just true sbixler, incredibly frustrating.

And what did you do about that? Just left that co-worker with this little problem or had to edit in other machine where doesnt have this problem ?

Now i was trying by other way, I put all the IV files on my machine (Design Data, tamplates, etc), nothing comming from network, and then i was creating each material from zero instead of importing them from 2012...just to see if that could be a problem. I created almost 50 materials sharing +- 10 appearances between them. Always doing the same process, purge, save, close, re-open. It was just like the other try, working great untill some minutes ago, when suddenly....at least a half of those materials lost its Assets....and I didnt do anything different that I was doing before while I was creating those materials.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here, but I guess I'm using this tool correctly and... very carefully. But even like this I got this problem. I'm not only frustrated here, I'm a little dissapointed too.

Thanks again,

Túlio Barata

IV 2013
Message 9 of 9
tuliobarata

Good morning,

Well, just tried one more time...and again the same problem.

The materials worked for a while and then the Assets were just gone, when i updated my equipment with those materials, all with density were with1000 kg/m³. So my equipment that should have +- 10 ton now have just 1,5 ton... a good way to obtain an equipment with a low weight ahn !? 🙂

The only solution I've found now, is to use the existent materials from the originals libraries, likl the Autodesk Materials or the Inventor Materials, and then edit the BOMs name when i finish the IDW.. a little painful, but I can't think in other way for now that i need to finish this job.

I cant even go back to 2012 because i got 4 entire equipments with the IDW almost finished, so I'll have to use this "quick fix" untill autodesk release a new SP for IV 2013 or untill shows up one good solution for that.

Thanks

Túlio Barata

IV 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report