Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to open document

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JamesVSA
1382 Views, 3 Replies

Failed to open document

I am using Inventor 2014 on a Windows 7 PC.  While undoing some operations in an assembly, Inventor crashed.  Upon restarting, I attempted to open the DWG file associated with the assembly, and a message box appeared that reads "Failed to open document".  The message box cannot be dismissed - I have to close Inventor using Windows Task Manager to recover.  I have also tried opening the previously saved version of the DWG but get the same message.

Opening the assembly for the DWG also produces the "Failed to open document" message box but it stops appearing after dismissing it two or three times.  The multibody part that the assembly was derived from opens without any issues.

The DWG file opens with AutoCAD, but it displays a message stating that the file is in use or read-only (which it is not). 

Does someone know what is causing this and how the assembly and drawing might be recovered?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: JamesVSA

Sounds like the file got corrupted. I would try restoring it from the Old Versions folder.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 4
JamesVSA
in reply to: mrattray

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately the Old Versions file also doesn't open (only one old version is being saved).  I guess I'm starting over...

Message 4 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: JamesVSA

@JamesVSA wrote:

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately the Old Versions file also doesn't open (only one old version is being saved).  I guess I'm starting over...

Not starting over-- sounds as if just the assembly is corrupted.  All the parts still exist, just reassemble them in a new file.  Since this was created from a multi-body assembly, most or all of the parts can be rooted and grounded and you're done.  Probably will have to re-create the drawing as well, but maybe not.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Inventor Professional 2015 Update 1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report