Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrusion from 3D Sketch

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
donny
3896 Views, 5 Replies

Extrusion from 3D Sketch

Hello Community.

I am a long time Solidworks user and have trouble grasping my mind around why I can't seem to do what I want in Inventor. Before you go "Ok dude o back to Solidworks then".. Please take a read

I have a part I am making that involves the following process which leads to where I get stuck:

1) Made an Extruded part

2) Used Bend feature to "bend" part

3) Created 3D sketch using (2) lines and (2) splines for new geometry.

At that point Inventor will not allow me to extrude the 3D sketch, at all.

Does anyone here the community know of a way to do such a thing, mainly creating an Extrusion from a 3D sketch? It may be my geomtry that is preventing this entirely or Inventor does not do 3D sketch to extrude features?

I have attached a screen shot of the bent part with the 3d sketch on it.

Thank you for reading and any input would be most appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: donny

#1 I have never seen an Extruded 3D sketch in SolidWorks - can you attach an example *.sldprt?

#2 you have a problem right from the beginning of your part (see the feature tree).

#3 there is (almost) always a better way to model a part than to use Bend feature.

#4 can you attach your *.ipt file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

#1  Well, I just found that a 3D sketch can be extruded in SWx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJs4k-30rew

Attach your *.ipt file here and I'll show you how to do it with your Inventor part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
donny

Indeed Solidworks can extrude from 3D sketch, I could attach a Solidworks part later surely.

I know my part has a error, I made some lines and deleted a portion of construction geometry I didn't need and never updated the child sketches. I have attached my (.ipt) part. When you open it up you will more then likely get an idea of what I was going for. My goal is to get a curved feature / surface / part that has two tabs perpendicular to the cut out that the tabs reside within.

Let me know what you think, and most of all, thank you for the reply.

Message 5 of 6
JDMather

I do not see a 3D sketch in the file you attached.

I would not model the part this way in Inventor or in SolidWorks.

I will not be back at my r2013 machine until Monday, but you might attach the file with the 3DSketch, or better yet, if you have access to SolidWorks 2013 or earlier - go ahead and finish the part in the program you know how to use and then attach it here and I'll show the best technique to use in Inventor.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
donny

I am going to upload a new part file. The design intent on this part is not here, what you are seeing is a portion of an idea, it looks pretty hacked up with extrusions because it really isnt anything.. but building that part is not what I am trying to accomplish here.

The attached file partially bent, and there is a 3d skecth on the bent face which consists of two lines and two splines. When I open the extrusion tool is gives an error : "No valid closed loops found in sketch for building a profile.  Use Project Geometry, add sketch geometry, and/or drag the loop endpoints to close the loop."

From there I cannot make an extrusion, which takes me back to my first question, is extruding from a 3d skecth possible in inventor on a bent face? I will re create the same geometry in solidworks and upload it.

Thanks for hanging in there!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report