Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding to a complex surface

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
bcrowell
4067 Views, 2 Replies

Extruding to a complex surface

I can't post the original files, but I have gotten permission to post jpegs of what I am trying to do.

My end goal is to fill in between the grey part and the surface.  The surface comes from another part in the assembly, and I used Copy Object to get the surface in this part file.  Ideally I would like to do something like Extrude> To Next and select the surface as my terminator.  I have done this with success with curved surfaces, but not complex curved surfaces.  Does Inventor not handle extruding to complex curves?

Another option I tried was simply extending this part out beyond the surface using the Split feature to trim the part.  Again, to no avail.  I also tried creating a subassembly of this part and the part the surface is derived from with this part extending beyond the surface, deriving it and subtracting the surface part so I could use Delete Face with the Lump option.  No dice there, either.

There was a hole in the side of the surface where I am trying to extrude the part (it is still open on the other side of the surface), but I used Patch and it seemed to fill it in just fine.

This would greatly help in my now endless quest to get accurate fill volume data in complex assemblies if I can figure out how to do this.  I hope after all the time I have put into this endeavor someone pops out with an "Oh, it's simple" and has a procedure that works (even if it would tick me off for all the time wasted until now!).  But it's been over a year and I still don't have an answer so I'm not holding my breath. Any more...

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: bcrowell

@Anonymous wrote:

I hope after all the time I have put into this endeavor someone pops out with an "Oh, it's simple"

Complexity of extrusion profile or surface extruding to doesn't matter.
There should be some examples in the tutorials in my signature.

The surface does need to completely terminate the extrusion.

You say you had a hole that you "seemed" to fill with Patch (did you stitch them together?). (CE allows you to "untrim surfaces to remove holes)

You should know you patched.

I don't see any image attachments.

Would your company be willing to pay for someone to come on-site to demonstrate how to "flood fill" voids (I think this is what you have been asking for the past year or so)?

As I recall you did post something like a crane or heavy equipment weight shell that was poorly modeled some time back.  Is my memory correct?  Maybe I still have the file around and could use that to demonstrate a technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Measuring-Volume/td-p/3071568/page/2

Oops, my search turned up post #13.  Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report