Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extruding letters towards the center of a cylinder

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dukes82
1068 Views, 6 Replies

extruding letters towards the center of a cylinder

I have a hollow cylinder, and I would like to extrude a wraparound text through the walls of the cylinder towards the center.  My current plan is to wrap the text around the cylinder, create a tangent work plane for each letter, project the text to the plane, and then extrude the letter.

Is there an easier way to do this?  I think emboss might work, but the second stage is to create a solid shell around each letter using an intersect extrude, removing the cylinder but leaving a border around each letter from the cylinder wall.

Thanks for any insight!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: dukes82

I think I would either use Emboss

or

in a 3D sketch wrap to cylinder and trim, thicken, whatever needed.

Attach your part here when finished for alternative techniques.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
JoAnn_Hogan

The emboss command would definitely work. Especially for what you are trying to accomplish. Please let me know if you need the steps on how to accomplish this 

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 4 of 7
dukes82
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thank you for the input!  I was able to achieve a close approximation to with the attached part.  An emboss of the text, then a second emboss of a rough outline drawn manually around the text.  

It would be nice to automate the outline of the text, as well as set the width of the second embossed rectangle to the circumference of the cylinder, so I can remove the original cylinder entirely w/o dealing with self-intersections.  Is there a text outlining method that wont create messy overlaps?

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

Something like this?

(Pull down the red End of Part marker.)

Emboss Text.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
dukes82
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD, this is great.  Last question, if I up the shell amount to where shells would intersect within a letter or between two letters, I get a self intersection area.  Is there a method to have these shells merge neatly?

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

Attach a real file with real dimensions and desired specifications rather than a trial.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report