Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding in Inventor R13 Assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
MSchreiner
414 Views, 5 Replies

Extruding in Inventor R13 Assembly

I know there have been multiple posts about this topic, most people ask why the person needs to be able to extrude within an assembly model.....well here is my situation:

The company I work for is a welding shop. There are instances where we use a steel cast forging (with an OD and ID like a pipe).

Then take that forging, machine some material away.

Then add weld back to specific areas.

Then machine some more in areas that we added weld to.

To achieve this, in how I think, I'd have a part file for the forging.

Assemble the part file (forging) into a new assembly file (Assy1), and do my machining.

Then assemble Assy1 into a new Assy2, and be able to extrude material to represent the added weld.

Then assemble Assy2 into a new Assy3, and machine away some of the extrusion added in Assy2.

I need that seperation in steps soo in Assy2 the welder sees what area he needs to add weld to, and in Assy3 the machinist can see where to machine.

I have attached an example of what I need to try to achieve. Any help would be appreciated, questions as well. While the Weld feature in Assembly mode may work for this example, I assure you we have more complicated parts where the Weld feature WILL NOT work.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: MSchreiner

Have you experimented with Derived Components?

other than that

Submit to the IdeaStation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
MSchreiner
in reply to: JDMather

I have no experience with them, but looking into it now.

Thank You
Message 4 of 6
blair
in reply to: MSchreiner

If you have access to AU2012 MA2525 class, there is a good example of using an iPart to create Part Process Steps and Drawings. If not you can e-mail me at: blair dot stunder at arcticmfg dot com and I will send you the PDF. I can't attach or insert files on this user forum from my work machine.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 6
blair
in reply to: blair

This will allow you to create drawing for each step of the process.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
MSchreiner
in reply to: JDMather

Derived component feature seems to work for what I need it to do....thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report