Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding a shape created in multiple sketches

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jaydenbroad
938 Views, 8 Replies

Extruding a shape created in multiple sketches

I have created this shape to model the side of a ship's hull and I would like to extrude one face of it to model the thickness.

I know that it's best to do things simply in Inventor rather than making more trouble for myself but I couldn't think of any simple way to create this shape so I used multiple sketches and planes to create this shape.

Is there a way I can extrude the whole shape (it will only extrude the flat side at the moment) and if not, is there a simpler way to create this shape that will make things easier?

Thank-you for your time.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jaydenbroad

Hi! The physical screen shot is not very clear. Could you either post the part file here or use Print Screen key to take a snap shot? I would like to understand the request better.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9
jaydenbroad
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hopefully this is clearer, thank-you for looking at this.

Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue

Many thanks for the updated image! But, I have to say I still don't quite understand the design intent here. Does the profile represent the length-wise section or width-wise section of the ship? Also what unit is the dimension of 3974?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
jaydenbroad
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The flat section runs vertically in the length of the rectangle as it is a portion of the side of the hull.  The curved section is the start of where the hull's side goes from flat to the part that's in the water running from the top of the hull to the bottom.

The 3974 is the length of the flat part of the side of the hull before it starts to curve.

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

Is something like this (see attached) what you are trying to do?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 9
jaydenbroad
in reply to: JDMather

Exactly as you've done with the barge but I'd like the whole shape to be solid.

If you see the attachment, I am trying to sketch the wall of the hull with where the blue bench is being the part of the hull that starts to taper towards the bottom of the ship.  

Please respond if you need more information.

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

Something like this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 9
jaydenbroad
in reply to: JDMather

Exactly like that!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report