Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding a fully constrained sketch

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
AdskInv
1436 Views, 8 Replies

Extruding a fully constrained sketch

Hi,

I'm having trouble extruding a fully constrained sketch. The sketch is a cross-section of a hollow cylinder that is splined on the inside surface (see attached part file). The line segments that create these splines seem to be grouped together because moving one line moves the others, however the sketch will not extrude.

I can't use the coincident constraint button to group the lines because they don't separate from each other. I also tried to use the close loop button but was unable to select all the necessary lines.

Any help on how I can extrude this sketch or make an equivalent sketch that is easier to extrude would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Doug_DuPont
in reply to: AdskInv

While in Sketch mode right click on your sketch in the browser and run Sketch Doctor. You will see your problem.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 3 of 9
japike

If you delete your sketch pattern and make closed loops of your splines before patterning, it works fine. I wouild also consider using a feature pattern for the splines instead of a sketch pattern.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 4 of 9
AdskInv
in reply to: japike

Thanks.

I tried doing this but had trouble making closed loops - I wasn't able to click on all the lines. So I used the sketch doctor and it said that multiple sketch points existed at the origin but then it wouldn't combine them because that would over constrain the sketch.

Message 5 of 9
japike

What version of Inventor are you using?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 6 of 9
AdskInv

Inventor Professional 2012.

I made the splines an almost closed loop before making the pattern (I couldn't close the end points because I don't have a closed boundary until I make the pattern). Then after doing the pattern I closed the end points using the sketch doctor, although it made my sketch no longer fully constrained.

Also the sketch doctor said I had overlapping curves but I don't think I do because I drew each arc starting from where the previous one finished. I was able to extrude the sketch though. Hopefully I don't have any problems making an assembly with this part.

Message 7 of 9
japike

I'm using 2013 and don't have 2012 installed so I can't send the part. But, you might be able to see what I did in the attachment. I made the highlighted geometry a closed loop before patterning. I would normally make that area a seperate extrusion and pattern the feature.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 8 of 9
AdskInv

Thanks, I can see what you've done.

Message 9 of 9
AdskInv
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Thanks, using the sketch doctor helped.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report