Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude - To Option - Wrong Direction

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mjk289
732 Views, 8 Replies

Extrude - To Option - Wrong Direction

I've experience this problem twice on two different parts. I try to extrude to a face and when I click the face the arrow for the extrude is opposite the direction of the face. I click ok and get an error. I tried clicked the direction so it is correct before I select the "To" option, but then when I select the face the arrow appears and is the wrong way. It is the simplest part. I don't understand it. Anyone experience this before? I'm using 2009 Inventor
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mjk289
in reply to: mjk289

Well, I thought I'd try something. I opened the part file in a new window instead of editing it within the assembly file. It behaved correctly this time. I don't understand why it doesn't always work correctly from the assembly, but i solved the problem.
Message 3 of 9
JDMather

Were you trying to do a Cut or Join?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
mjk289

Join
Message 5 of 9
JDMather

When you are (trying) to edit the part in the assembly are you at the assembly level or part level? At the assembly level features (most) can only be Cut, not Join.
Make sure you are Editing at the part level within the context of the assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
mjk289

I know I have to be at the part level when editing a part within an assembly. I made the extrusion by typing in a distance since the "To" option wasn't working for me. I then opened my part file (in a new window) and did edit feature on the extrusion. Since the extrusion and my new sketch was there in my part I was definityly at the part level when I was in the assembly. I tried the "To" option againand and selected the face on my part I wanted to extrude to. It worked. I think it has something to do with projected geometry. Unless someone else experiences this problem consider this topic closed. Thank you.
Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you send me or post an example here, so we can understand the exact workflow? I suspect the termination face is either a partial cylinder/sphere/cone/torus. Essentially, there are two possible terminating direction. Somehow Inventor picks the one opposite to your intent.
Thanks!

Johnson Shiue
johnson.shiue@autodesk.com

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
mjk289

I'll post later. Maybe try to do a video of my screen. But no its not a cylinder or anything.
Message 9 of 9
henrikubbe4438

I have had the same problem, and not always with cylindrical "target faces".

My workflow would go like this:

edit an existing part, in place-edit or in a single part.
adding a sketch to an existing face
extrude the sketch, option "to"
choose the terminating face, the arrow points in the wrong direction and (sometimes) cannot be reversed.
I get an error message saying IV cannot extrude.

I don't have an example right now as it doesn't happens every time and also because I mostly have a different workflow.

Also, this hasn't happened in 2009, either because something is fixed, or because i haven't tried it.

/Ub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report