Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude or Loft

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
damian__s
1651 Views, 9 Replies

Extrude or Loft

Would it be better to use the Loft command for the feature then Extrude & Fillets.If Loft is better how would i apply to this part where Extrude was used?

Would Loft give smoother appearance as fillets used

Thanks

Damian

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
admaiora
in reply to: damian__s

Hi, it's depends on your design intent, your project measures and what you want to control dimensionally in your 3d model.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

Do you have a drawing or image of a part that you are trying to reproduce?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
damian__s
in reply to: JDMather

No picture sorry....that is the shape in the part posted but was enquiring if Loft or Extrude a better option

Message 5 of 10
admaiora

Damian,

JD means that we can suggest you the right feature by knowing the component purpose... by knowing how in reality it will be manufactured.

Geometrically speaking you can use whatever you want if it will be quick, accurate and flexible.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

@damian__s wrote:

..... enquiring if Loft or Extrude a better option

Impossible to answer the question without more information.

In general you should use Extrude rather than Loft if it will give you the desired geometry.

And of course, if Extrude will not give the desired geometry - then some other tool(s) will have to be used.

I would probably rank the sketch-based features Extrude, Revolve, Sweep, Loft as primitive to advanced (not considering Fillets, Holes, Ribs....).

Use the most primitive geometry that returns correct results.

From your post it sounds like you are not getting the geometry you desire.  But I am not sure how another person is to understand exactly what you are after.  Maybe if you scanned a hand sketch or found some image at least similar to what you are after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! It depends.If the design constraint consists of two sections (geometrically different but topologically the same), I will use Loft to get s nice curvy transition. In some cases, you can even use Sweep with Taper.

There is nothing wrong with using Extrude here. It is just the command is a special case of Sweep, restricting protrusion direction to be normal to the sketch.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 10
sam_m
in reply to: johnsonshiue

it would help to know what the intended shape is meant to be, possibly with a sketch or photo, instead of an attempt at something that you admit isn't what is wanted...

Looking at it, I keep wondering whether it's meant to be a volute?  Or is it a Millenium Falcon?  Or ....  erm, it could be anything...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 9 of 10
damian__s
in reply to: sam_m

I found a picture of the pump

The shape is correct but unsure what is best method to use

Thanks again for help

Message 10 of 10
damian__s

Does the picture help?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report