Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude not recognizing lines I draw

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ambiguousphoton
5429 Views, 9 Replies

Extrude not recognizing lines I draw

Hi there,

I am trying to use extrude to remove some chunks out of my model but when I create a 2d sketch and draw some lines to section it off, when I go back to extrude it doesn't recognize that I drew the lines there.  Check out what I mean in this image I attach.

The whole face highlights instead of the sectioned off piece I made on the left. I want to remove the parts to the left and above the two green lines so it matches what I have on the left.

I attached the part, thanks for your help!

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: ambiguousphoton

I recommend that you turn off autoprojection of part edges on sketch creation.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

What I don't understand is if you are trying to make the left side look like the right side, whay don't you just mirror your base sketch about a centerline and project that?  Instead of creating all of these extra features.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

It appears that you are trying to do unit conversions from metric to inch, but not sure.

Unit Conversions.PNG  Are you attempting to convert to inches?

Your metric dimesions do not make logical sense?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Sketch1 is not fully defined?

You have multiple duplicated dimensions - don't do this (extra work and not needed).

You have zero (0) length dimensions -- don't do this (extra work and not needed).

You have some left over "garbage" in Sketch1

(Best practice example to follow.)

Duplicated dimensions.PNG

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

Did you give up on this?

Was this a school assignment?

I could show an example for improved technique, but if the assignment is already past due....

Message 7 of 10

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies. JDMather- This entire part was created using metric constrains and the mm template so I don't think that inches enters into the equation at all. It is very likely that I have weird dimensions like the 0mm but that was because I wanted to align two things in the X or Y axis. What is the better method for aligning two things like that? I would certainly be open to a better way of doing this, I am designing a 3d printer part for an open sourced repository www.thingiverse.com so this is not for a homework assignment.

Camanto- I am trying to remove the two areas on the left hand side of the part that are constrained by the left and upper edge and the two green lines I drew in a sketch.  Most of the time to remove mass from a part I would just start a new sketch and draw a box around the area I want to remove and then just extrude it to remove it. The part is in no way symmetrical so mirroring is not an option.

Thanks again!

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

I will post an example later today.

I could not figure out your dimensions, because most metric parts are dimensioned in numbers like 3mm or 3.5mm or 3.25 - many of you dimensions go way out many decimal places (not manufacturable) and what I would call "strange" numbers.

You will want to learn the coincident, colinear, horizontal, vertical, equal and other geometry constraints to avoid zero length and repeated dimensions.

I recommend you start here:

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

Message 9 of 10
JDMather

@ambiguousphoton wrote:
... The part is in no way symmetrical so mirroring is not an option.

Thanks again!

I see a lot of symmetry?

Message 10 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Open the attached file.

1. Expand Extrusion1 and right click on Sketch1 and examine.
Notice that in lower right corner of screen that is says it is fully constrained.

Exit Sketch.

Drag the red End of Part marker in the browser below Sketch2.

Repeat steps from 1. above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report