Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude cut whilst ignoring certain components?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ospi.f1
3423 Views, 6 Replies

Extrude cut whilst ignoring certain components?

Hi all,

I am new to inventor (having migrated from Solidworks) and im havign trouble with one aspect currently.  I am attempting to extrude cut an object which passes through another but I wish for the cut to ignore the other geometry and only cut the other.  I have attached the model.  I do not wish the cut to cut throuh the curved surface and only through the vertical pieces seen.  Is there an option to cut and ignore certain solid bodies in the process?  This is not an assembly btw.  Thanks for any help!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: ospi.f1

Hi ospi.f1,

You can use the button shown in this image to select which solids bodies are cut. If more than one solid body is selected, you can press the Ctrl key to deselect the ones you don't want cut.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

I noticed your Sketch1 is unconstrained - this should have been covered in your SWx training.

You might want to go through this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
ospi.f1

Thanks for the reply guys.  Problem I have is the solid option is greyed out as seen in this screenshot.  Im actualy completely self taught with CAD so I am sure to have terribly bad habits, that uni link was helpful thanks.

I assume this solid option is greyed out because there are not other solid "parts" and it's all the same "part"?  If this is the case, how do I ensure I am creatign new "parts" each time I made an addition to the model like I have here?

Capture.JPG

Message 5 of 7
ospi.f1

Hi guys,

I solved it.  I ended up splitting the solid about the top curved surface by projecting that curved suface as a line on a new workplace and using the split solids tool from there.  *see image*

Question is, is there a smarter way (I am sure there is) of me adding to my startign sketch to ensure each new addition is treated as a new "part" so operations such as that cut extrude will consider it a separate piece to the rest?

Thanks again!

1.JPG

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@ospi.f1 wrote:

Question is, is there a smarter way

Attach your finished part here for alternative techniques.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
SBix26

When you add a new feature, such as an extrude, use the New Solid button to make that feature a separate solid from the existing geometry.  You can go back and edit existing features to do the same thing.

New Solid Button.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report