Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude and share sketch problems.

48 REPLIES 48
SOLVED
Message 1 of 49
Squawk
2319 Views, 48 Replies

Extrude and share sketch problems.

Hello,

I've been breaking my brain over this..

Somehow I can't extrude several shapes in my sketch. I can't see the "share sketch" option in sketch 1.

After extruding 3 things, there is no extrude part available anymore, even though sketch 2 could be set to "share sketch".

I really need help with the following:

- why can't I choose "share sketch" for sketch 1?

- why does the "share sketch" feature of sketch 2 not allow me more than 2 extrudes?

- I made 2 sketches so that when I would use extrude, I can select an extrude per sketch. However, even though I select sketch 1, when trying to extrude sketch 1, it allows me to select sketch 2 features as well. Why?

- I cannot slelect the the feature without the round circle with legs, only the whole thing or the round circle with legs (see pictures). Why?

I hope somebody will have the time and energy to help me out..

Thanks in advance!

Squawk

Tags (2)
48 REPLIES 48
Message 41 of 49
Squawk
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you JD!

Works like a charm.

TEST 02.jpg

I see that I need to 're-program' my way of thinking when using Inventor..

Message 42 of 49
JDMather
in reply to: Squawk

Tip:  When adding symmetry constraints once you have added the first (selected the line of symmetry) you only need to select the entities for symmetry (you do not need to keep picking the line of symmetry if you do not leave the command).

I like to make the line of symmetry a center line constuction line for obvious visual reference going forward (a month from now I might have forgotten what I did).  (actually, these days I forget what I did yesterday)

Tip 2:  Mirror command is another way of adding symmetry - but I seldom use it (in sketches) as Inventor sometimes gets confused with mirrored coincident endpoints.  So in general, avoid using Mirror in sketches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 43 of 49
Squawk

Thanks for the tips JD!

They make sense..

I like to make the line of symmetry a center line constuction line for obvious visual reference going forward (a month from now I might have forgotten what I did).  (actually, these days I forget what I did yesterday)

lol.. Yeah.. I know what you mean.. Especially the things you don't think about when doing them.. 😉

Message 44 of 49
JDMather

Tip #2 doesn't make sense, but that is just the way it is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 45 of 49
Squawk

Ok.. 🙂

It makes sense to follow your tips.. both of them.

Tip 2 may not be logical, but I've read the exact same advise in your and other tutorials and help files I've read so far.

It seems to be something nobody (above my noob level) uses that option in sketch.

Message 46 of 49
Squawk
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Curtis,

Could you tell me how you created the arc in sketch 2 and 3 in the file you sent me?

(your file attached)

Message 47 of 49
rdyson

The way I'd do it is to use arc 3 point. Pick the end points and somewhere in between. Dim the offset (may need to project geometry) and constrain the center point appropriately.

PDSU 2016
Message 48 of 49
Squawk
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks rdyson.

Yes, I see what he did now. Indeed dimension from the centre..

Funny, I've been at it now for a week and things I didn't see ealier, I now wonder about why I didn't see them. 🙂

Message 49 of 49
Squawk

This part is created and finished.

Thanks you all for your help!  Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report