Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extremely slow when opening a specific idw

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
295 Views, 10 Replies

extremely slow when opening a specific idw

I have got an assembly with app. 178 parts and 1673 nuts, bolts, rings etc. The drawing .idw of the assembly takes about 12 minutes to open. The dealer said we need to make sure all the updates withing the assembly have to be done. Then the time to load will be 50 sec. We found some improvement 8 minutes but not the 50 sec. What could be the problem(s)? The system is a compaq W8000 dual XEON 2.2 nvidia quadro 4 500/550 xgl and 1 gig mem.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MechMan_
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are running any antiviurs software, especially Norton, try disabling it.

MechMan
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

I disabled the antivirus software but no improvement. The environment is semi isolated and all the files are on the server. When opening the drawing the processor load is 100%. Well actually 50% because of the dual cpu.
I really hope there is some cause because this was not a real big assembly.
Message 4 of 11
MechMan_

Try copying all the files to your local hard drive (Pack & Go) and open from there. If it opens a lot faster then I'd say your being limited by your network speed.

MechMan
Message 5 of 11
RJP227

I'm having the same problem with speed as rspaargaren. Did all of the above: turn off virus software, copied files to my machine with no remedy. When I apply constraints in an assembly it's like slow motion. Never had this problem with 5.3.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

No there is no limitation by the network speed. If I put all the files local there is no improvement.
Message 7 of 11
MechMan_

Do you have any parts that were translated in (not native IV parts)? Are you using any derrived components?

MechMan
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Do you have the iam open when opening the idw?
Do you have multiple sheets in idw?
Message 9 of 11
LesLeroux

Adaptive parts can slow things down, especially if they are complicated. Turn off the adaptivity until you need a full uppdate.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

There are one or two not native parts. Bearings from SKF and the parts are based on derrived components as I am using a skeleton part for the base of the construction. A few parts were derived from IV 5.3 as I started with that version.
I hate adaptive parts so I will never ever use the adaptivity tool in my construction so that can't be the problem.
Message 11 of 11
MechMan_

I've heard it said that translated parts often times slow down drawing updates. Derrived components can also add a "bump in the road" as far as performance.

If you wanted to run a test, remove the translated (non-IV) parts from your model and see if the speed increases.

MechMan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report