Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra TUTORIAL ZIPS won't run old post never answered

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
flatpickin
1454 Views, 11 Replies

Extra TUTORIAL ZIPS won't run old post never answered

This is the note I posted at the old thread from 8/16/13 where there was no fix or explanation offered..

Quote:::

Same issue here..   I went through all of the basic tutorials and then went to the website and downloaded all of them;(wanted to continue learning by as many tutorials I can get my hands on, so searched and found all of these add ons)...  

draw interactive tutorial exe

"       3   "               "          "

BIM        "                 "         "   All of these worked and appeared in my tutorial window and work properly.

However these that I downloaded.  all of them zips.

data exchane

get started

mechanical

routed systems

simulation

tooling

tutorial files 2014 ZIP,, which included all of the above..   I put them in the public/docs/autodesk/inventor2014, and extracted them to that same directory..    Searched for all of the .ipg  files for associated tutorials. and double clicked as instructions said.  Each time the different .IPG file would open an instance of Inventor...   They were no where to be found. Not in the window of tutorials that all the others including the three exe's I mentioned previouis..  

These are the instructions I followed.      Where in the autodesk(world) are they and how do you get them to work? Please..  

After extracting the tutorial tutorial data set files, double-click the tutorial_files.ipj file in the folder to launch Inventor and set the tutorial files project current. The tutorial data set files are now accessible and ready for use.

There is another note I found about tutorials that I could not figure out how to do or what they wanted done.. It stated to (make sure the .ipg file had been activated)!!!!..

I am at a loss. please help.. I see others having the same issue.. thank you very much for your time..
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: flatpickin

Could you please add that zip file here so I could test it and give you a proper answer?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 12
flatpickin

Hello and thank you..  Here it is..  just for your information as it might be a question,, I have done updates 1 and 2  inventor 2014 

Here is the exact file I downloaded..    Probably much faster for you to get it from there then from an attachment..  

http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/files/inventor_2014_tutorial_files.zip

Message 4 of 12
JoAnn_Hogan

Ok So i have extracted these files on my desktop. So on my desktop I have a folder called inventor_2014_Tutorial_Files.

So in inventor, I will go to Projects > Browse > Desktop > Inventor_2014_Tutorial_Files > Tutorial Files > Tutorial Files.ipj

This would make this project current.

So from here, Where are you getting stuck?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 12
Cadmanto

In all honesty , this may not be anything you are doing wrong.  I have had difficulty downloading off of the Autodesk website before.

I am going to escolate this and see if anyone from Autodesk can shed any light on this.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 12

Hi flatpickin,

There is a post at this link that suggests that you need to install or enable  "flash player activeX besides flash player plugin" and that "The problem is when playing tutorials Inventor is searching newest flash player from ActiveX(IE), so you have to download and install latest flash player for Internet Explorer."

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/To-see-tutorials-quot-Install-Latest-Flash-Player-quo...

Also for future reference, please try not to create multiple post for the same question:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inventor-2014-tutorials/m-p/4880622#M500604

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 12

Hello Curtis,   My situation seems to not be the same as that thread about the flash.. I can see the "typical" tutorial windows. (see pic).

My problem is all of the additional "tutorials" that can be downloaded from the website.  I cannot figure out for the life of me how to make them operate like the tutorials in the window operate.  You click on one of them and the side window opens up and you can go right down the list of steps..  

So as another had stated earlier, She was able to get to them on the desktop,  and then she asks what is the problem from there.    My location is not the desktop. I put them in the public/docs/inventor2014 folder as the instructions stated..  So i followed her instructions. Projects, Browse,, etc.  I went to my folder of course instead of the desktop..  I found the .ipg file and clicked on the button to say "done". and the window closes and there I sit.. No nothing happens.. So I figure maybe all I did was activate it.. So I attempt to go and open it.. So I browse to the folder to open the .ipg  and when I get there, the option for opening a file type .ipg is not available.. So I click on the file folder of one of the tutorials and look try opening anything to see if it will start the tutorial..   But the best I can do is to get the project loaded in the window. So I can see what the thing is, or by clicking on one of the many other files in the folder I can open up parts of it.. But I cannot get the tutorial to run..

Please forgive the other post. I wondered if that was going to happen. I didn't realize the system would throw it up at the top of the current topics just because I replied to it..  So before I knew that I started a single topic of my own because that other thread was old and I didn't know if anyone that had been in on it would still be watching for any updates to the topic..  

Now after posting this, I don't know if I should go ahead and reply specifically to the Lady that first offered her help or if I should just post this and assume she will see it..      all I can do is get in trouble again eh?? lol

Hope I explained enough.. sure would like to get all of those tutorials running. It is really the only way I have a prayer of a chance of learning this program..

thank you.. very much for your time and help..

Message 8 of 12
flatpickin
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Hi JoAnn..   Please for give if I posted this for no reason..  I am new to the system so I hope you will forgive my babysteps.. and my stumbles..

I replied to Curtis..  The answer that you asked me about is in that reply. I will post all of it so you can see my dilema.. Thank you so much for your help and patience..

Hello Curtis,   My situation seems to not be the same as that thread about the flash.. I can see the "typical" tutorial windows. (see pic).

My problem is all of the additional "tutorials" that can be downloaded from the website.  I cannot figure out for the life of me how to make them operate like the tutorials in the window operate.  You click on one of them and the side window opens up and you can go right down the list of steps..  

So as another had stated earlier, She was able to get to them on the desktop,  and then she asks what is the problem from there.    My location is not the desktop. I put them in the public/docs/inventor2014 folder as the instructions stated..  So i followed her instructions. Projects, Browse,, etc.  I went to my folder of course instead of the desktop..  I found the .ipg file and clicked on the button to say "done". and the window closes and there I sit.. No nothing happens.. So I figure maybe all I did was activate it.. So I attempt to go and open it.. So I browse to the folder to open the .ipg  and when I get there, the option for opening a file type .ipg is not available.. So I click on the file folder of one of the tutorials and look try opening anything to see if it will start the tutorial..   But the best I can do is to get the project loaded in the window. So I can see what the thing is, or by clicking on one of the many other files in the folder I can open up parts of it.. But I cannot get the tutorial to run..

Please forgive the other post. I wondered if that was going to happen. I didn't realize the system would throw it up at the top of the current topics just because I replied to it..  So before I knew that I started a single topic of my own because that other thread was old and I didn't know if anyone that had been in on it would still be watching for any updates to the topic..  

Now after posting this, I don't know if I should go ahead and reply specifically to the Lady that first offered her help or if I should just post this and assume she will see it..      all I can do is get in trouble again eh?? lol

Hope I explained enough.. sure would like to get all of those tutorials running. It is really the only way I have a prayer of a chance of learning this program..

Message 9 of 12

flatpickin wrote:

Hi flatpickin,

Inventor comes with two types of tutorial files:

1. New Interactive tutorials - these have the side window that allows you to go down the list, etc.
  2. Old style tutorial files - there is no side window for these, you just have to follow along in the web browser or HTML.

So for these tutorial files, you'll load and activate the *.ipj file as you mentioned, and then you will follow the steps in the web browser, which will direct you to manually browse out and find the files needed.

For instance if you started here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-FAB20788-37A4-4A49-BBFF-4231DEEFA8B3

You would pick a tutorial you're interested in such as Parts 2, and then use the Next link at the bottom of each screen to follow along:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-F57ADA16-61FE-4EFD-B25C-490AEC8352F3

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 12

Hi There,

Don't worry, I'm still here. Our timezones are just a bit different.

Anyway. in your previous post you said: "So as another had stated earlier, She was able to get to them on the desktop,  and then she asks what is the problem from there.    My location is not the desktop. I put them in the public/docs/inventor2014 folder as the instructions stated..  So i followed her instructions. Projects, Browse,, etc.  I went to my folder of course instead of the desktop..  I found the .ipg file and clicked on the button to say "done". and the window closes and there I sit.." Now that just means you have selected your project, So when you open a file it will open from that project and when you save the file it will save it in this project. This is how Inventor remembers links and stay orginized.

No nothing happens.. So I figure maybe all I did was activate it.. So I attempt to go and open it.. So I browse to the folder to open the .ipg  and when I get there, the option for opening a file type .ipg is not available.. Your project is all ready selected now so you don't have to select it again. It will also not open from Inventor. The only things you can open in Inventor is Parts, Drawings, assemblies and presentations. And offcourse files that you import but that something different

So I click on the file folder of one of the tutorials and look try opening anything to see if it will start the tutorial..   But the best I can do is to get the project loaded in the window. So I can see what the thing is, or by clicking on one of the many other files in the folder I can open up parts of it.. But I cannot get the tutorial to run.." What do you mean by you cannot get the tutorial to run?

There are many tutorials out there. Would you mind to send me the link of the tutorial you are busy with so we can be on the same page?

Also I would suggest that you attend an Inventor training course, It really makes this easier to understand. I attempted trying this by myself and I found it difficult until I went on training then everything makes sense.

Jo - Ann
Message 11 of 12

Thank you Curtis..   I wondered if that was what the situation was after having zero luck getting it to work inside the program, but yet no real word about it anywhere that I had found up to that point..    You saved me valuable time in answering my question, thank you very much.. As you most certainly have learned and as I, these situations generally can be parsed out with any given amount of time on ones own. Sometimes one can get lucky and hit the right answer or hint right off the bat, but so much information to sift through.. .  So being I am pushing 180 years old next week,,  I try to take advantage of the those in the know.   I may feel a bit dumb at the moment, but when I go to the page for Tutorials online help.. It does not say anywhere that they are a (not) going to act like the tutorials I had already done inside the program..  unless I missed it.. And it also does not say download all of these files and then follow along in your web brouser, as you had simply explained..  Amazing how a few well placed words in the (help) lol.. web page would be of great help....    But as I read some of the comments online and even on the tutorial web pages themselves it appears I am not the only one with a few wishes and issues that cause a bit of pain..   Thanks be to the help from those as yourself and others to help us all get it on..

Thanks again Curtis..

THANK YOU JOANNE for your time, and willingness to help..  I appreciate it very much... 

flatpickin

Message 12 of 12
charleswwalker

Put .zips in another folder after unzipping them.

Then they can be opened by AUTOCAD. You might have problems if you unzip them, and try to launch them from that unzipped folder.

You will notice that .zip is still in the file path even though the file appears to be unzipped.

Just move those unzipped files to the project file folder and it should work fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report