Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra parts in BOM

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
shastu
400 Views, 8 Replies

Extra parts in BOM

Open SKS.iam which is suppose to be empty, but for some reason asks for the 14020-111.iam file.  Once it opens go to the BOM and you will see 24 of the same part in the BOM.  If you derive the SKS.iam you will see those 24 parts listed and you will even see them.  Yet when you go back to the base SKS.iam they are not visible in the browser or the windows graphic area.  What is going on?  IV 2012 sp2

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: shastu

I didn't open your file (no time), but is it possible you have something called "Virtual Parts" in this assembly?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
shastu
in reply to: Cadmanto

Don't know.  I am not familiar with Virtual Parts.  How do I find out?

Message 4 of 9
shastu

Aren't virtual parts just in your parts list?  Then no this is not coming from a Virual Part.

Message 5 of 9
Cadmanto

I honestly don't know.  I gave this answer based on my knowledge of Solidworks virtual parts.

I have worked with those, but the virtual parts in Inventor I have not.  I know in Solidworks they are parts

that are hidden outside of the assembly file (i.e. local or network drive).  They only show up in the assembly tree within

the session.

What I would suggest is look at the link I gave you and see if the components you are having issues with show up in the browser as virtual parts.  Maybe chech the properties of these components within this assembly and see if the reveals anything.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 9
D_Beezhold

Check the parameters in SKS.iam for any reference or linked parameters to 14020-111.iam. If there are, delete them if possible and see if that helps. I couldn't check because the .zip contains only 2 .iam files with no .ipt files. Even if SKS.iam is suppose to be empty if there a link to 14020-111.iam you'd need the part files in 14020-111 to open the SKS.iam file without gettting missing link errors. (confused yet? Smiley Tongue

If your browser shows nothing in it then you don't have any virtual components. (Virtual components are kinda like "embedded" parts in an assembly that don't link to an external file like an .ipt or .iam. They are typically used for parts that  are needed in assemblies but can necessarily be modeled. Such as oil, grease, loc-tite, etc.)

Hope this helps,

~Derrck

Message 7 of 9
blair
in reply to: D_Beezhold

It asks for file "064466 x 4.5.ipt", looks like this was used for something else as there was a Parameter #59 in the parameter box.

I just created a new file that it was asking for, installed it in the drawing when updated the links (RMB) on the SKS.IAM in the top of the assembly view box. Directed it's search to the location of the required file. Allowed it to place in the IAM and then deleted the file and everything is fine.

I am on IV2013 so this file is not usable to you being the newer version.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 9
shastu
in reply to: blair

I have attached the ipt file.  When you say that everything is fine, are you saying that when you go to the BOM from the SKS.iam file, it is empty?  Or are there still 24 parts?  I want to remove all of those from the assembly but can't figure out how because they do not show up in the assembly.  If you derive that assembly then you can see them but still can't delete them from there.

Message 9 of 9
shastu

Here,  I thought maybe a screenshot would help as well.  In the BOM there are a QTY of 24 parts but in the browser those parts do not show up.  I am wanting to delete them from the BOM>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report