Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Express mode (design view reps/iassemblies)

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mcgyvr
577 Views, 10 Replies

Express mode (design view reps/iassemblies)

Anyone else find "express mode" rather buggy with design view reps/iassemblies/iparts?

I'm routinely running into parts not showing (disappearing even though browser icon says they are visible) when going back to load full or it not honoring changes like color overrides in design views,etc..

Toggling express then full again "seems" to fix it for most of the situations but some I need to close/reopen the file.

Many time I need to do full rebuild then generate the members again,etc...

I really don't feel like taking the time to pack & go and send this to Autodesk.. Just want them to take some more time working out the bugs. I'm finding them fairly easily and expect they could too. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi! You are on Inventor R2015. Have you installed Update 1 to R2015? If not, please install it and it should help enhance overall stability of Inventor. I have heard about the behavior you are talking about. But, it seems to happen randomly. Having the dataset may not necessarily help. Could you send me an email? I would like to follow up with you about some specifics.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Version is...

Build 159, Release 2015 RTM Update 1 - Date:Mon 05/12/2012

and yes it is fairly random I guess but does it quite often..

I'll send you an email..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 4 of 11
LishuangLu

Hi Brain,

This is not a known issue to us. I just played iAssembly a bit and noticed a weird issue, I recorded this into a video though Autodesk Sceencast Recorder and shared via this link View iAssembly_Express now. The problem is that when open the iAssembly in express mode, and change the 2nd assembly to another appearance, the 1st assembly will also overlap on the 2nd one.

I guess mine is different from you according to your description, so would you please share some video with me so that I try to reproduce it locally?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

-Lisa

Message 5 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: LishuangLu

Lisa,

Express mode has TONS of issues still. Even you were able to find one rather easily..

Here is a screencast I just sent to Johnson.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/2770c1ba-8db7-4cc2-8b9a-4fccc6a94af8

Notice a "chunk" (or piece) of my sheet metal part is missing but once I turn full mode back on it comes back.

Express mode is FULL of bugs. All sorts of issues from missing "pieces" of parts to complete parts missing to sub-assemblies missing to not handling appearances properly to not honoring view reps to blah blah blah the list goes on and on.. 

I've got iassemblies that I need to now generate the members twice each time I make a change because its not updating the first time.. 

I'm turning express mode OFF.. I'll try it again in INV 2017..

Message 6 of 11
Yijiang.Cai

Based on the comments and video from you, we worked out one dataset using iAssembly, and some additional parts will appear in express mode when assigning the color appearance to the component, and it will work fine when going to full mode. The behavior is similar with what you saw. But there is one workaround  -

1. Open the top assembly in Full Mode

2. “Rebuild All”->”Save”

3. In the “Save” dialog change save status to YES for top assembly ->”Ok”

4. Go to Express Mode>In pop up dialog click to “Yes” for updating assembly

5. Click to “Local Updates” icon ->”Save”

6. Go to Full Mode and then to Express Mode

Please have a try this workflow, and let us know whether it can be resolved. If you could provide the dataset to us, it should be better for us to have more investigation.

Your effort is really appreciated!

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 7 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

Yes.. OBVIOUSLY that workaround corrects the bugs.Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 11
Yijiang.Cai

Many thanks for the confirmation! Although this can be resolved by workaround, it has been tracked in our system for investigation.

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 11
-niels-
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

I know this is an older topic, but is there any progress on this?

I'm using IV2016 and express mode still doesn't adhere to the representations of (sub-)assemblies, see screencast:

Position and colours of parts are wrong, after loading full it's all fine.
(i edited out most of the loading time from the screencast.)

I usually open express to quickly show someone how or where parts are located, it would be nice if i could rely on the positions being correct and not have people wait for the entire model to load.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 10 of 11
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: -niels-

I came across an Autodesk article awhile back where there's a limitation of express mode when it comes to views, LODs, and positional representations. Only the last active (design view) representation is loaded under express mode. If you switch to another representation while in express mode, the representation will not load properly.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 11 of 11

Could you send me @river-yijiang.cai@autodesk.com the dataset for more investigation? 

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report