Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to STL files

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
g.lawson
4636 Views, 9 Replies

Exporting to STL files

When I export from Inventor professional to an STL file for 3D printing. Everything exports ok exept threads. I have a model with M10 and M4 threads which never show on the STL file. Is there an option I need to tick to make sure they convert?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

George

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: g.lawson

George,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you creating the threads as real threads or as cosmetic?  If they are just cosmetic threads then they are for on screen appearance only. Kind of like textures and colors.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
g.lawson

Hi

many thanks for your help.

They are real threads for bolt holes.

Cheers

George

Message 4 of 10
sam_m

i think, what he means is - how have you made these threads?

if it's with the hole/thread tool then all you see is a cosmetic thread in Inventor as a texture - if this is exported to a stl/stp/igs/etc it will only show a hole of the nominal diameter (depending the options set).

The only way to export a thread in a stl is to actually model it with a coil cutting the profile down the hole - is this what you have done? 

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 10
g.lawson
in reply to: sam_m

Hi

many thanks for your advice.

I put the threads in the hole using the thread tool. I will take your advice and try using a coil to cut the threads.

Cheers

George

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

@g.lawson wrote:

Hi

many thanks for your advice.

I put the threads in the hole using the thread tool.

You should be using the Hole command for threaded holes, not the Thread command.

In any case you need to model the actual theads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
jarr.strydom

Still a little new to the whole program, however I'm trying to 3D print an object and I'm struggling to figure out how to export it as a STL file. Any ideas how to? 

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 10
sam_m
in reply to: jarr.strydom

You need to do a "Save copy as" to get the full list of filetypes:

"I" logo at top left -> Save as -> Save Copy as

(or use Export -> CAD Format)

Then use the "save as type" drop-down and select STL 😉

remember to check the export options (click the options button on the "save as" dialog) to check you are exporting in the same units as your design, otherwise your print may well come out surprisingly large or small...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 9 of 10
connor

Hello!

I made a gear with an inner diameter of .8 inchs. The gear is an IPT and when i export it to an STL, its inner dimension changes to a little more then 2 inches. Why is this and how can i fix it?

Message 10 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: connor

As indicated in the previous responses in this thread -

post image of your stl Options.

and how are you verifying the size of the stl part?

stl options.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report