Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting pojects from student version 2013 to professional version 2010?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
4769 Views, 15 Replies

Exporting pojects from student version 2013 to professional version 2010?

Hey everyone.

I have the following problem:

I´m currently a student in a master progam and working for a company. My task there is to create some basic models in Inventor.

Since the company had some delays in getting a licence from their storage for Inventor, I allready started using the student version of Inventor. Since no one could tell me which version I will work with, I decided to use the opportunity to check out the latest version.

Finally the company managed to get a licence for Autodesk Inventor Professional 2010.

Now my question:

Is there a way to export my previews builded models, created with the students version 2013, into the professional version from 2010?
Or do I need to create everything again?

Thanks in advance,

Denis

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

The proceedure you describe violates the EULA you agreed to.

You are putting the company at financial risk of significant penalties.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 16
SBix26

You have the model, but you don't have any feature history with it.  You might be able to use the Feature Recognition utility from Autodesk Labs to recover some or all of it, though.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 4 of 16
dan_inv09

How many pots of coffee does it take to read a EULA?

Just remake them. It will go much faster this time and you will probably have even better models in the end.

Message 5 of 16
sam_m

Aside from the EULA issue there are 2 problems:

1) Inventor (like all 3d cad software) isn't backwards compatible, so anything saved in 2013 cannot be opened in 2012 or older.  The only way around this is to save the original as a step/iges dumb solid (losing all feature tree and intelligence) and import that in the old version.  If the data is important then there's a certain need/desire to have a model will all the features, so bottom-line, you need to re-draw the part in the older Inventor release.

2) Anything saved in a student version of Inventor is flagged/marked as such and any time they're printed out it will mark the drawing with a "created in student version, not for commercial use" - including any assembly which contains any part (no matter how small) created/edited/saved in a student version.  You/we cannot remove this student flag so once it's there it's stuck - then requiring the part(s) to be re-drawn in a non student release of Inventor.  If you have a student release of Inventor at home and use a commercial release at work you just cannot (ever) take work home as it will corrupt work data when you bring it back in.

Reading between the lines, you need to re-draw it 😉

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Easy guys, easy.

My intention wasn´t to remove the students flag, I just wanted to open my models, created in the latest version, with an older version. I´m not that deep into the materia and thought it would be able as long as I´m just using simple extrusions etc.

Doesn´t matter to me, if I´m losing some information (I doubt that I added any info at all to those models since they are just some very basic extrusion from a few drafts).

I didnt knew that it´s against the EULA to change the data type of my creations, you might just want to delete the possibility to do so then. I just wanted to point out a possible bug with export/import. Allways thought off Autodesk as an userfriendly company (regarding the last meetings I had with a few developers during expositions).

Edit:

Sadly it seems that I´m missing the part in the EULA in which its stated, that you are not allowed to export your files as .stp files. Might want to give me some quotations?

Again: I didnt knew that watermarks will be erased by my found solution until I discovered it when I printed some stuff. It doesnt matter to me if the students mark are visible. I was just trying to open my '13 files in the '10 version.

Was the last time I recommended a company to get Autodesk products.

Message 7 of 16
sam_m

There's nothing in the EULA about not being able to save your data to stp/iges/whatever 'cos that's not the problem - it's all about using a student version produce data that is used by a commercial company.  Thus the stamp on the print-out and the inability to remove this flag/stamp from any files created in a student release.

Student versions are heavily discounted (or even free) for people to learn the software without needing to buy a full version.  As soon as they're using software for "proper" work then they need to move over to a full release.  This isn't just an Autodesk thing, a few companies offer student software and they're all for non commercial use only.

Sam M.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 8 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: sam_m

@sam_m wrote:

Student versions are heavily discounted (or even free) for people to learn the software without needing to buy a full version.  

The student version is full version.  There is no difference in functionality - only the EULA terms of use are different.

There are now over 6 million student members of the Autodesk Student Community.

Students can download Inventor 2010, 11, 12 or 13 for free 3-yr student license.

Each release is new license.

http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

Student Community.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 16
sam_m
in reply to: JDMather

yeah, i know the student version (of Inventor) isn't missing any features and is equivalent to a retail package (just i used full instead of retail - symantics) - I was more trying to generalize about a typical student licence of any software, as the OP seemed to think it was an Autodesk-specific issue.

Sam M.

Message 10 of 16
ampster40

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a way to export my previews builded models, created with the students version 2013, into the professional version from 2010?
Or do I need to create everything again?

Thanks in advance,

Denis

Denis,  As others have stated, you will need to re-create everything.

You cannot use anything created in a student version for commercial purposes.

Quote from your 2nd reply to your thread;

"Edit:

Sadly it seems that I´m missing the part in the EULA in which its stated, that you are not allowed to export your files as .stp files. Might want to give me some quotations?

Again: I didnt knew that watermarks will be erased by my found solution until I discovered it when I printed some stuff. It doesnt matter to me if the students mark are visible. I was just trying to open my '13 files in the '10 version.

Was the last time I recommended a company to get Autodesk products."

Besides the 1st part of that 2nd quote already been answered a few times, the very last line you stated, you may as well go back to using an itch-a-sketch or some other 2D based CAD program, because you won't be able to recommend any solid modeling program to anybody if your intention was to open a newer version model in an older version of the software.

No solid modeling software offers the ability to do that, thus you are left with no recommendations for any software.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

So, you are suggesting that every thing that I've made till now in student version to dump in garbage and start all over again with the same things, drawing all over again??? This is out on any sense !!!!

Message 12 of 16
blair

As in the EULA, all work done with/in an educational version is for education only and can't be used for commecial use. So basically yes, that's why as previously stated the program is free for education only.

New versions of the program can open older version files, older version programs can't open newer version files. Older programs don't know what changes to the file kernal will be. Newer program versions know what the older version file kernal was and thus can open the file.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... This is out on any sense !!!!

Not sure what this means?  Can you elaborate?

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

it means that now I must do every thing all over again. but thats what it is it 😄

Message 15 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

...but thats what it is it 😄

Not sure what that means either?

But a bit of careful thought might give some insite to why it is the way it is. 
I would post an explanation here, but it would be removed by the forum moderators as an explanation to the obvious means of unethical use.

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

the way it is = cant use anything from ver 2013(cant save anyting in older ver) in 2012 and form educational ver in comertial. so, no problem, i'll do it again. and the is the way it is. and now you can delete the post 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report