Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting a 3D sketch to use in Ansys

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
8844 Views, 7 Replies

Exporting a 3D sketch to use in Ansys

Hello, I'm new to this board but I couldn't find any old topics that tackle my problem.

I have a 3D sketch in a .ipt file.  The 3D sketch is just a wireframe/bunch of lines.  I'm going to do a stress analysis in Ansys but for that to work I need to get that wireframe into eithver Ansys ADPL 14.5 or the Ansys 14.5 Workbench.

I've tried exporting to various formats, step, CATIA V5, igs and so forth, but the export function doesn't seem to export the 3D sketch, when I load the files again in Ansys or Inventor, they come up empty.

My understanding is that this is because it's not a 3D object yet, only a sketch with no surfaces, but I could be mistaken.

I therefore come to you for help, if you could point out to me how to get a 3D sketch with some simple wireframe geometry into Ansys, I would be most grateful 🙂

Best regards,
Klemenz

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

You are correct, a 3D wireframe us just that, it has no physical properties and volume.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Sketch1 is unconstrained.

Ignore that it says Export Solids - your 3D sketch will be exported if you set the Options as shown.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you so much!

It went flawlessly into Ansys 🙂
Message 5 of 8
Prophet_Barnes
in reply to: JDMather

I'm facing the same challenge as I need to work with line bodies in Ansys. Just that I've modelled the geometry in Fusion 360 so I'm not getting the 'Save as' Options as you mentioned. What would you suggest me to do?

Message 6 of 8

Hi! Is this for Inventor or Fusion? Please post it on Fusion forums if it is Fusion related. On Inventor, you could export the sketch in STEP, SAT, and IGES.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8

Hi! 

I'm sorry, I know this is a forum for Inventor. I tried posting a new question on forum for Fusion but since I'm working with a student version of Fusion, my privileges are limited and hence, I'm unable to post anything new. Plus I looked for any post which relates to my query but couldn't find one. So, this post here became my only way to find answers. Luckily if someone's a Fusion user here. 

My apologies!

Message 8 of 8

Hi Aditya,

Please refrain from apologizing! You did not do anything wrong. I was just pointing out that you would get better support on Fusion related issues on Fusion forums. This is Inventor forum and most users are Inventor users. We do have some Fusion experts here. But, the focus is still on Inventor here.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report