Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Tolerance for Very Small Features (nanometer)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
JuliaScivi
468 Views, 3 Replies

Export Tolerance for Very Small Features (nanometer)

Hello,

I am currently using inventor to design a piece fabricated by thin film technology (nanometer resolution). I have a structure which is 25nm thick (0.025 micron). Unfortunately, when I export it in STL format, the smallest tolerance is 0.1 micron. How can I change that? Is it possible to work with sub micro structures?

I need the correct dimensions, because I am doing a simulation in COMSOL using this design.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Julia

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
swalton
in reply to: JuliaScivi

I've tried over the last few minutes to make a 25 nm cube with IV 2014 and I can't get IV to zoom in far enough to see any sketch geometry once I apply a 25nm dimension. 

What settings have you used to create these small features? 

I looked briefly in the IV help file to see if I could find a listing of the min/max feature size that Inventor supports, but I did not find anything.

I understand that STL files started out as a tool for 3d printing.  Wikipedia's article on 3d printing talks about printing resolutions on the order of 10-100 micrometers.  I don't think anyone spent any time making STL suitable for features 1000x smaller than the resolution of the typical output device. 

You might try stp or igus files. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 4
mrattray
in reply to: swalton

@swalton There's a thread here somewhere where someone was drawing nanotubes in IV and ran into this same zoom problem. I think we found a fix using a registry hack, but I'm not sure now.
@JuliaScivi Can you use other formats per swalton's suggestion?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 4
JuliaScivi
in reply to: JuliaScivi

Hello,

Thank you for your answers!

So actually I made a mistake in my first post. I am exporting in STEP format (.stp). Truly sorry =/

Nevertheless, the minimum tolerance for .stp is still 0.1 micro (100 nm).

I tried to export in other file types, but none show what the minimum tolerance is. And when I try to import them back in COMSOL, I got errors, because of features which are too small. Any suggestions for the best export format?

Thank you again for your help and time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report