Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to PDF doesn't automatically open the new PDF anymore?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
LT.Rusty
2520 Views, 9 Replies

Export to PDF doesn't automatically open the new PDF anymore?

Anyone else seeing this happen?  It started about 3 or 4 weeks ago on my office workstation with Inventor 2013 Pro.  Seems to still go okay at home with 2014.  I'm using Inventor's built-in PDF export, not an external program.

Rusty

EESignature

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi LT.Rusty,

As odd as it sounds, this is controlled in the publish options of the DWF file. 

Go to Export > Export to DWF and un-check the Display Published File in Viewer option found at the bottom of the General tab. This option controls the PDF viewer as well as the DWF. With this option unchecked the PDF will not open automatically after it is published.

related link:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2012/08/disable-automatic-pdf-display.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 10

Right, but my problem is that I WANT the PDF to display - I almost always have to email a PDF once it's created, and I usually also have to save-as to at least one or two additional locations - and when I check the box for DWFx export it doesn't appear to be persistent.  It only works for that export of a DWFx, and if I come back again the box is unchecked again. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 10

Hi LT.Rusty,

Sorry for the confusion, I pasted directly from the related link, which addressed disabling that option. But in your case you would want to enable it, as you mentioned.

As for the setting not persisting in the state that you set it to, I've not encounterd that sort of thing, other than when a crash/abnormal exit was encountered.

I do seem to recall others mentioning issues with settings not persisting in the past that were addressed in service packs / updates, so you might check to see if you have the latest installed:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?linkID=9242019&id=2334435&siteID=123112#section15

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 10
pball
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Also whenever changing settings make sure to only have one instance of Inventor running.
Message 6 of 10
LT.Rusty
in reply to: pball

Only one instance open, and I'm running SP2 Update 3.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
steve.west
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hi. I have the same issue, just suddenly stopped working. Tried changing the options on DWF exports but it didn't make any difference.

Anyone found a solution yet? I like to check my PDF's after creation, now I have to find them in Explorer.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: steve.west

@steve.west wrote:

Hi. I have the same issue, just suddenly stopped working. Tried changing the options on DWF exports but it didn't make any difference.

Anyone found a solution yet? I like to check my PDF's after creation, now I have to find them in Explorer.

Thanks.

PDF files created using Inventors built in "export PDF" or "save copy as pdf" use the check box in the dxf options to control if a pdf file is automatically opened after you create one..

Please do the following.

#1-Ensure that the check box is still checked. If its not, then check it and then press the "publish" button.. Then press cancel when the save dialog comes up.. Just going to Export to DWF and checking the "Display published file in viewer" and then pressing cancel is not sufficient.. You need to press the publish button for that checkbox change to take effect..

#2-Post your version of Inventor and make sure its up to date with all service packs and updates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 10
JJarbeau
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Go to File > Export > PDF. When the "Saveas" dialog box opens click "options" and check "Display Published Files in Viewer". 

This worked for me.

Message 10 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: JJarbeau

@JJarbeau wrote:

Go to File > Export > PDF. When the "Saveas" dialog box opens click "options" and check "Display Published Files in Viewer". 

This worked for me.

Yes the location of that setting has changed since this post was created..

You found the right spot..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums