Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export/Importing STL files Inventor Pro 2012

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
jrm_1971
8929 Views, 15 Replies

Export/Importing STL files Inventor Pro 2012

A couple months ago I could export to STL files using Inventor Pro 2012 and a third party could open them on whatever platform they are using. Now when I export to STL files, the third party cannot open them and I cannot open them either on the Inventor Pro 2012 platform. Nothing has changed since the originals were sent to the third party. I have read some of the threads, but there is a lot of STL, none of the ones I read address this problem. The properties from Windows Explorer say the file type is Certificate Trust List (.stl).

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
blair
in reply to: jrm_1971

Possibly if you are trying to open the STL files from the Windows Explorer, it doesn't know what program is used to open the STL file. Can you open from within Inventor. I have no problems here either exporting Inventor to STL or importing STL files.

If you wish to open STL files from the Windows Explorer window, you would need to RMB click on the file, select Open With, and then navigate to where the Inventor.Exe file is located.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 16
JDMather

Create a 1mx1mx1m cube and and then Save Copy As type STL.

Attach both the ipt and the stl file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
blair

Try opening this one, it works fine on my system at home 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 16
jrm_1971
in reply to: blair

Nope, exporting and opening in Inventor Pro 2012. It just mysteriously started doing this.

Message 6 of 16
jrm_1971
in reply to: JDMather

STL file attached cube

Message 7 of 16
blair

I am able to ope the cube file here. I'm not on IV2012 though. Are you current on all the SP's and hot-fixes.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 16
luiww

I wonder if one could open the stl files in the Inventor 2012 environment.  I could not find the stl file type in the drop down list.

Message 9 of 16
blair
in reply to: luiww

There is no specific STL extension, just use the (*.*) option to allow you to open any file.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 16
luiww

I tried and obtained a message "Failed to open document".  I am not able to attach the stl file here owing to its file type.

Message 11 of 16
JDMather

@luiww wrote:

I am not able to attach the stl file here owing to its file type.

In Windows Explorer right click on file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
luiww

Here is the stl file.  Do let me know if I need to install any 3rd party software.

Message 13 of 16
JDMather

I had no trouble opening in 2013.

I don't have access to 2012 to test.

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
jrm_1971

It would seem the STL importation/exportation became corrupt after installing Mechanical Simulation. I have not tried to uninstall that to test the theory (and really don't won't to). Whether it is zipped, unzipped, assign .stl in the file name or let the program do it, the result is the same in 2012.

I have build 219, Release SP2

Message 15 of 16
blair

Check in the Add-In Manager that the module is loaded automatically at start-up in Inventor.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 16
JDMather

@jrm_1971 wrote:

... Whether it is zipped, unzipped, assign .stl in the file name...

All of this doesn't make sense?

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report