Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export from Simulation to FEA

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jwalch99
893 Views, 9 Replies

Export from Simulation to FEA

I have a working simulation from which I want to export the dynamic forces to analyze the supporting frame.  I get the message attached stating that the sub assembly needs to be flexible.  This is a sub assembly made up of parts, and I have tried setting it to flexible, but I get the same message.

What am I missing here?

Flexible.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: jwalch99

Can you attach the assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
jwalch99
in reply to: JDMather

Actually, I cannot.  With the sim, it is 162mb zipped up.

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

I suspect that you are including a significant amount of geometry in the simulation that doesn't have anything to do with the target information. 

Can you not simplify?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Roelof.Feijen

Close Dynamic Simuaktion environment. Make the assembly Inventor complaining about flexible. Go back to the Dynamic Simulation environment. Select Export to Fea, before you run the Simulation. Than run the Simuaktion. That should work. If not try posting your assembly using WeTranfer.com and send it to yourself. Copy the link from the WeTransfer email and post it here. Normally the WeTransfer link status valid for two weeks. That should be long enough.
Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 6 of 10
jwalch99
in reply to: Roelof.Feijen

I did not get the Export to FEA to work, and I remodeled the assemblies as parts to try to eliminate the problem.  Now I have another recurring problem:  "Please check joints' nature and geometry".  Maybe someone else can help me identify the problem.  This simulation is driven by the profiles on the two upper joints.  There is a joint on the lower pusher face that applies a force to the face of the pusher.

I appreciate any help with this.  The dynamic simulation tool has proven to be quite painful to work with, and unfortunately our local Autodesk supplier knows nothing about it.

Thanks, Jared

Nature.JPG

The assembly is on WeTransfer: 

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/565f58eda5ba750f2529ab9a823f9b9620140128203934/53e885393cddedb2...

Message 7 of 10
Roelof.Feijen

Hello Jared,

Suppress the Flush:135 under Planar:14. Run the Simulation.

The whole mechanism turns 180 degrees.

Unsuppress Flush:135

Change the Imposed Motion:Positon in Revolution:11. Select Y1 with your Roght Mouse Button and select Initial Position. Same for Y2.

DSInitialPostion.PNG

Repeat teh same stepr for Revolution:4.

Your simulation will run, but you still have to figure out the imposed motions in both revolutions. I think you are trying to make a motion that is reality impossible to make.

Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 8 of 10
JDMather

For anyone interested -

I haven't had my students take a look at this yet, but here are the files.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Roelof.Feijen
in reply to: JDMather

Maybe something to consider.

Get rid of the Imposed motion in both Revolutions 11 and 4.

Add a Spatial Joint between the paddle and the frame.

Describe the motion in de Spatial Joint using the positions X,Y,Z directions.

Roelof Feijen

Message 10 of 10
jwalch99

A spatial joint does in fact work.  In fact a spatial joint was used to create the original motion.  The output data from the revolving joints was then saved, and was imported back in as an imposed motion curve (inverse kinematics)  I did have this working at one point.

It is important for this analysis to impose the motion at the revolving axis, since the forces and moments we need to look at are what is generated by the motors and gearboxes at these joints.  I did get a nice plot of this data when it was working, but now I need to review the supporting structure with FEA.

First I was not able to export my results to FEA, and now I also cannot get the simulation functional again.  I will probably go back to an older version of the simulation that was functional and retrieve the forces manually to run the FEA.  The vague errors and lack of troubleshooting tools has been a disappointment.  There is definite opportunity to improve this tool.

Thanks,

Jared

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report