Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

explode sketched symbol

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
stephengibson76
1083 Views, 7 Replies

explode sketched symbol

is there a way to explode a sketched symbol???  what i would like to do is place a sketched symbol with text from a custom iproperty, once placed it loses the link to the custom iproperty and is just dumb text

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: stephengibson76

Is the custom iProp in the model or in the drawing?  I'm not sure why custom iProperties would be different-- we use a model iProperty as text in a sketched symbol in some of our drawings, and that text changes when the linked iProperty changes.  Can you post an example without violating any intellectual property rights?

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 8
mpatchus

If you are trying to utilize a custom iproperty from the model, do the following.

1. Create the part model with the custom iproperty. (in the attached file I simply called it "Custom").
  2. Open a new idw and insert the ipt with the defined custom iproperty.
  3. Create a custom iproperty with the same name as the ipt in the idw.
  4. Create the custom symbol inserting the custom iproperty.
  5. Goto the Tools tab on the ribbon and select Document Settings
  6. On the Drawing Tab click on "Copy Model iProperty Source", and select the custom iproperty you created.
  7. Goto the manage tab on the ribbon Save the idw as a template.

Anytime you insert a part that contains the desired custom iproperty, goto the manage tab on the ribbon and select "Update Copied Properties".  This will update the text with the custom iproerty from the ipt.

Here you see a simple example of the skecth symbol  using the ipoperty as explained.

Custom iProperty.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 8
stephengibson76
in reply to: SBix26

its in the idw.  I want to place the sketched symbol with the existing custom iproperty as text, then break the link so when the custom iproperty changes the text in the sketched symbol stays the same. i can insert then insert the  sketched symbol again and the new value will be reflected, also with a broken link

Stephen Gibson

Message 5 of 8
harco

I don't think it's possible to explode as you wish.

You will probably have to edit the sketched symbol and change the text to prompted entry then save a copy of the symbol.

Then the text will need to be copied from the custom iproperty and pasted or just entered.

You can then copy and paste any placed symbols in the drawing and they will hold the text.

HTH

Message 6 of 8
SBix26

Sorry, I completely mis-read your first post.  You were describing what you hope to accomplish, and I took it as a complaint about what is actually happening.  This sounds like a job for iLogic-- you might even bypass the sketched symbol altogether and have iLogic just read the existing iProp and write it wherever you click.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 8
stephengibson76
in reply to: SBix26

thanks for the replies

ill look at other ways

Stephen Gibson

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Following up on this. Has this been addressed or changed in other versions? Can't seem to figure out how to explode a sketched symbol. We have a set of General Notes that can be inserted quickly from the Sketched Symbols library, but once in the drawing it'd be nice to easily edit them if needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report