Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exhasut transition piece: mirror error message

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MPRC
379 Views, 5 Replies

exhasut transition piece: mirror error message

The attachment has one pipe drawn and it was mirrored.  When attempting to use the shell command, an error message pops up after clicking OK.  A shell thickness of 5/16" was used.    Let me know how to fix this. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
trumpy81
in reply to: MPRC

First off, you have a LOT of unconstrained geometry, starting from the first sketch. Go back and fix that aspect of the part first. Try to avoid sketch patterns also, instead, pattern the features. In Flange, remove the pattern, extrude the hole after constraining the geometry, and then pattern the hole.

Next, there is broken geometry in Revolution2 that also needs to be fixed.

I removed Revolution2 and with the EOP above the mirror, I was able to shell the part using .312 thickness. However, the shell would not mirror after moving the EOP back to the bottom. I was unable to select the shell as a feature to be mirrored.

I also tried to shell after the mirror, but I recieved errors and the shell failed.

I did not fix the unconstrained geometry though, that may or may not help.

EDIT: Another point, and I hope I'm not being critical here, but the mirrored geometry that meets at the YZ plane seems to be a little off, there should be a small flat area there, seperating the two halves. Other than that, you seem to be on the right track. Also, the central revolved feature, are those measurements correct? It just seems a little large to me that's all, judging from the picture.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 6
MPRC
in reply to: trumpy81

I followed your advice dealing with contrains and using the feature to pattern.  There is still an error message with shell and mirror.  I'm working on to see whether the mirror line or one of the features (i.e. nose piece) is not symmetric along the YZ plane.  In the meantime, can you look at the attachment?  I circled (polygoned) a shelled burrow that is not supposed to be there.  Does this help identify the problem with shell and mirror problem or add to it?  Thank you

Message 4 of 6
trumpy81

I took a look at your part file but I could not figure out what the problem was. Whatever the problem it is certainly strange.

Anyhow, I remodelled the part using your dimensions and I found that the shell tool refused to work, so I had to do a loft cut in order to complete the voids.

Two things to note, my part is in metric, but all dimensions were entered in inches and I have not completed the bottom features. I figure that you should be apt enough to figure that out Smiley Tongue

Check it out and adjust the dimensions as necessary to more closely resemble the part. It's difficult to know exactly how to model it without having it in front of you and being able to take actual measurements, but I hope it's close enough to be of use to you.

Happy Inventing!

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 5 of 6
JDMather

Among other problems - you are trying to do your shell at the entirely wrong time in your feature history.

Forget the easy stuff until afte you have completed the difficult geometry.

What is the url to the original thread you started on this problem (and why didn't you continue that discussion)?

Never mind, I went and found it myself http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Exhaust-Transition-Piece/m-p/3482194

Keep in mind that that is a casting.  You might hold off some of (most? all?) of the machined features until the casting is modeled. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
bobvdd
in reply to: JDMather

I think you are running into two problems here:

- the shell of a complex loft might be of low quality and will give problems downstream in subsequent operations like mirror

- you might risk of creating non-manifold edges than cannot be filleted etc

non-manifold.jpg

See attached part. I decided to create two lofts and subtract the inner loft from the outside loft.

This in my opinion will produce a higher quality feature that survives the mirror.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report