Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding parts in Sub from mass calc

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
3310 Views, 12 Replies

Excluding parts in Sub from mass calc

IS there a way to exclude several parts in an assembly form the overall
weight (mass) calculation?

I have several parts in a light fixture to represent various lamp bulbs that
are used. Also, I have 2 Spring clips that represent relaxed & compressed
conditions.

I'd like the have the weight exclude all but one of the lamp bulbs. I've
tried making the parts disabled but they still affect to total weight.

Any ideas?

Gary
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you add a custom material with a density of 0.0 and apply it to your
items you will be fine when you apply to the items. The only problem may be
with the one light bulb if it's the same one used in other locations within
your assembly.

--
IV2010-Pro-sp1
Vista Business 64bit Sp2
Core i7 @ 3.07Ghz
12Gb DDR3-1600, 4 x 60 Gb SSD - RAID0
Quadro FX3800 - 191.00
SpacePilot 3.7.18 / 6.7.13
AVG8.5
"gcross [2009 sp1]" wrote in message
news:6285043@discussion.autodesk.com...
IS there a way to exclude several parts in an assembly form the overall
weight (mass) calculation?

I have several parts in a light fixture to represent various lamp bulbs that
are used. Also, I have 2 Spring clips that represent relaxed & compressed
conditions.

I'd like the have the weight exclude all but one of the lamp bulbs. I've
tried making the parts disabled but they still affect to total weight.

Any ideas?

Gary
Message 3 of 13
dan_inv09

It sounds to me like there are a bunch of bulb options in one socket.

I think we need to be talking about Representations or iAssemblies.
Message 4 of 13
wseaston

A method I have used which may work in your case is as follows:

Select the parts in the assembly which you DONT want "weighed" you then temporarily supress those parts, then go to your iproperties, select the update tab on the physical properties page. You will then have the weight of the unsupressed parts.

Personally I would prefer to simply be able to select the parts I want to "weigh" and the select a "mass" button perhaps under the measure feature which would then return the mass value for those selected items.

If there are many parts to "weigh" one could select the items to leave out and use the invert selection function and then hit the "mass measure" feature.

Hope my suggestion helps,

Cheers
Message 5 of 13
pcunningham1

In the iam, RMB on the components that you want to exclude, pick BOM structure, and set it to reference. This will exclude those items from the mass calculation as well as the idw parts list.

Paul Cunningham
Paul Cunningham
IV2008
Message 6 of 13
autodesk-MM
in reply to: pcunningham1

Please show how to switch to "reference"

Message 7 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: autodesk-MM

Hi! This is not hard. Here is how you do it.

1) Find the part you want to exclude from mass prop compute.

2) Edit the subassembly containing the part.

3) Right-click on the part in the browser -> BOM Structure -> set it to Reference.

This workflow lets you control the BOM Structure on a per occurrence basis. If you want all the occurrences of the same part behaves the same (excluded from mass prop), you can open the part ipt file and go to Tools -> Doc Settings -> BOM Structure -> change it to Reference. However, keep in mind that all of the occurrences of the part will become Referenced by default in other assemblies too.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 13

That excludes the item from BOM aswell though.
Doesn't it?

Message 9 of 13

bradeneuropeArthur_0-1607416807959.png

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 10 of 13

Yes it will be not visible in the BOM anymore!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 11 of 13
AIR_123

I would like to include purchased part in the BOM, but exclude its weight from the list. Possible?

Message 12 of 13

Are these parts Content Center Parts?

• Standard placed in Content Center Library folder?
  • Custom placed in working folder?

Are these normal parts and assemblies?

• saved in the project?
  • saved in a library folder?

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Message 13 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: AIR_123

Hi @AIR_123,

This will be a bit tricky. You want it to stay in the BOM but exclude it from mass prop. The only ways I can think of are the following.

Option 1: Open the purchase part -> use Delete Face command to delete a small face. The part will become a surface body and the mass prop will be zero.

Option 2: Open the purchase part and create a zero density material style. In this way, the mass prop will be zero since the density is zero.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums