Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude a Derived Part from STL Export for 3D Printing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
furicks
871 Views, 5 Replies

Exclude a Derived Part from STL Export for 3D Printing

I'm creating a part which is bassed of a model of a physical component. The part needs to fit with the physical components so I used the derive feature to create my part. 

Now I need to export the newly created part for printing on a 3D printer (STL) but the exported STL includes the derived component. 

Is it possible to make the derived component invisible? 

When I delete the derived part it breaks my part because all the references are missing. 

How is this use case suppoesd to be achieved? 

Thanks, 

Steven

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: furicks

How are you attempting to delete?

Can you attach the file here?

Sounds like maybe the Delete Face with Lump Option is what you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! It sounds like the derived part feature providing references to downstream features. But, the geometry itself is not important. Is it true? If yes, does the derive feature create a surface body or a solid body (Surface folder or Solid folder)? If yes, could you make the surface body or the solid body invisible? I believe, if the body is not visible, it should not be output in STL.

Or, you can post the part here or send me to me directly, so I can comment it further.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
furicks
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the responses! I've attached the part file. The middle (red) component is derived. 

I haven't found a way to make it "invisible" which has worked for me in the past. 

When I "delete" it by hitting the delete key or right click > delete many features of the new part are broken. 

Thanks!

Steven

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess you used Derive Assembly command before, allowing users to suppress participating components. The part you attached to the thread is a derived part. The process of suppressing derive source is slightly different. It is because all the downstream features totally depend on the derived body. As a result, suppressing the derive feature would make the downstream features fail.

Here is what you need to do to seperate bodies.

1) Edit Extrusion1 -> change operation type from Join to New Body -> OK.

2) Edit Extrusion3 -> click on Solid body and select the newly created solid from Extrusion1 as the main solid -> OK.

3) Go to Solid Bodies folder -> right-click on Solid1 -> uncheck Visible.

Then the source solid will be invisible and it should be excluded from STL file.

Please take a look and let me know if it works.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
furicks
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Worked great! I was looking for the Solid Bodies folder to toggle visibility! Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report