Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

excel installation is required for this operation. failed to launch excel

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
3028 Views, 9 Replies

excel installation is required for this operation. failed to launch excel

Recently I have been trying to build table driven products and ipart tables, but when I copy a member to create a new part number, upon exiting the iassembly author I get the following message "excel installation is required for this operation. failed to launch excel". I have a fully functional version of 2010 Excel installed which has been used so it should be recognized in the windows registry. I am running Windows 8 and Autodesk Inventor 2014.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

IV2014 is not fully supported on Win8. I would check that you have all Hot-Fixes installed for your version of Inventor.

When IV was installed, you were logged in with Admin rights? If not, possibly some Windows Registry entries weren't properly written.

I would try the Hot-Fixes first or log a support call with Autodesk.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: blair

@Anonymous wrote:

IV2014 is not fully supported on Win8.

Autodesk better change their posted "system requirements" then as Windows 8 is listed without any mention of "limitations"

Which version of Office do you have? Office Starter is NOT supported though.

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/ifeaturepunches-ide/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 10
samiharada
in reply to: blair

>IV2014 is not fully supported on Win8

Would you elaborate this more, please?

I'm not aware of any Inventor 2014 core functionality that doesn't work on Windows 8.

Anyway, I'd like to know the exact Excel version info. you are using.

Launch [File] Tab > Help > Click "Additional Version and Copyright Information"
[Alt] + [PrtScn] > Paste (Ctrl + V) on "Paint" application > Save it then please upload the picture.

Other things I'd like to try is:

Open any Inventor document > [Tools] tab > VBA editor > Menu:Tools > References...

then locate "Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library" and check it > [OK]

Close Inventor > restart Inventor > then see if iPart creation works or not.

Thank you,

-Sami Harada

Inventor Framework QA

Autodesk, In.c

Email_Signature_Logobar.jpg

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I have attached the picture of my microsoft excel, the product should be fully liscenced. I went into the VBA Editor and could not find the Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library so I was unable to check if that worked.

Message 6 of 10
samiharada

Missing "Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library" typically means either your installation is corrupted or you are on "Click-to-Run" configuration.

"Click-to-Run" virtualizes registry hives (including COM settings) and Inventor cannot communicate with Excel.

Please open Control Panel > Programs and Features. If you see "Microsoft Office Click-To-Run 2010", then you may need to switch from CTR to MSI-based Office.

Please refer following site and see if this works for you.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/click-to-run-switch-to-using-an-msi-based-office-editio...

Hope this helps,

-Sami Harada

Inventor Framework QA

Autodesk, Inc.

Email_Signature_Logobar.jpg

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks I believe that fixed the problem. I appreciate your support.

Message 8 of 10
jalexander
in reply to: samiharada

I got a new workstation so I'm going through some growing pains:

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit

MS Office Pro Plus 2010 V14.0.7140.5002 (32 bit)

Inventor Pro 2014 SP2 Update 3 with companion hotfix

The suggestion to . . .

"Open any Inventor document > [Tools] tab > VBA editor > Menu:Tools > References...

then locate "Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library" and check it > [OK]

Close Inventor > restart Inventor > then see if iPart creation works or not."

. . . did not work.

"Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library" was there, I checked it, closed and restarted Inventor, but I still cannot place an iPart component.  I continue to get the error.

I can open Excel, create/edit/save files, etc.  Any suggestions?

Message 9 of 10
jalexander
in reply to: jalexander

For those of you who have tried everything noted above and more (such as resetting user info, changing registry values, etc.) and still did not get it to work.  Here is something I tried and worked for me:

Go to Add/Remove Programs.

Select Microsoft Office.

Click the "Change" button.

Select "Add or Remove Features", then continue.

Expand "Office Shared Features".

Select "Visual Basic for Applications" and choose "Run from My Computer".

Click the "Continue" button and let it do it's thing.

After doing this I was finally able to place an iPart without getting the error.  Hope this helps!

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jalexander

I am currently running AI2012 and my I.T. department upgraded to MS Office 2013. This upgrade rendered my iParts and iAssemblies unusable. This solution has corrected my issue. The iParts and iAssemblies are running rather slowly (slower than they did when running Excel 2010) so, I may just complete a rollback to MS Office 2010 anyway (if the speed doesn't increase) but, this solution DID work. I will link this thread to my thread. Thanks for the solution, kudos given!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report