Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

(Error while writing to a temporary file) Simulation Error

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ryansmalley
3227 Views, 9 Replies

(Error while writing to a temporary file) Simulation Error

After attempting to do some structural tesing in Inventor Professional 2012 an error message would pop up under the details area underneath the progress bar saying " Error while writing to a temporary file".

What is causing this?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
henderh
in reply to: ryansmalley

Hi Ryan,

I've seen this error occur before, when there wasn't enough disk space for the temporary result files to be written to disk during solving.

Judging by your screen captures, I would imagine the mesh is in the millions of nodes / elements due to the thin-walled nature of the structure.

Could you verify you have plenty of free disk space (perhaps ~5-10 GB) and try again?

Best regards, -Hugh

===========

(ps: I logged a change request in our system (1433082) to add more information to the error message about checking available free disk space)

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 10
ryansmalley
in reply to: henderh

I have 35 GB free. Is there a way to change where the temporary file or folder lives? I also have a 320GB HDD on board and maybe that could help with my problem.

Message 4 of 10
ryansmalley

Would I have to update my software to recieve that message about more information about the free disk space error? It would be helpful if possible for the softare to calculate how much space would be needed per the model your are testing.

Thanks,

Ryan

Message 5 of 10
henderh

Hi Ryan,

I'm not 100% sure free disk space is the issue, it could be a permissions issue writing to %temp%.  I would think that 35 GB free is plenty for FEA.

Do you see the error running a simple simulation (i.e. a simple extruded rectangle)?

Thanks, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 6 of 10
ryansmalley

i did it on a part of my model and it worked great, but i will try it on a rectangle to see what happens.

Message 7 of 10
ryansmalley

i tried a rectangle and it worked. I don't know why it won't work on my model. My model is 40 feet long.

Message 8 of 10
ryansmalley

I have 8 GB of RAM installed and during the simulation, it almost maxes out the RAM. I am running on a quad core i7 at 3.8 GHZ so I have the horsepower to run these tests but for some reason I am maxing out the RAM. Could that have anything to do with the error?

Message 9 of 10
henderh

Hi Ryan,

Would it be possible to share the dataset?  If so, please contact me: hughDOThendersonATautodeskDOTcom

I'm not sure if maxing out the RAM is causing the issue.

Since you are able to conduct "small simulations" without error, we suspect the cause is not having enough space in the

temp directory.  Judging from the screenshots, the temp files could reach 10 GB.

When a system runs out of RAM, the O/S starts paging to the hard drive (i.e. using the virtual memory).  It could be you need to increase the size of the virtual memory (Control Panel => System Settings) for the solving to proceed.

We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

Sincerely, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Message 10 of 10
ryansmalley

What datasheet do you need?

I increased my virtual memeory as much as I could, but then I do not have much space on the disk. How much should I increase the virtual memory?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report