Valued Contributor
nhahn
Message 1 of 7 (1,251 Views)
Accepted Solution

Error when attempting to create report from simulation

1251 Views, 6 Replies
02-07-2011 01:19 PM

Hello -

I just ran a simulation (a simple modal analysis) and attempted to create a report.  It ran through all the pictures and then gave the following error message in a dialog box:

"c:\program files\autodesk\inventor 2011\Design Data\Simulation\Report\Main.htm contains an incorrect path"

The only button on the dialog box is "OK" and when I press it, I don't get a report.

It does this regardless of whether I ask for an HTML or RTF report file.  I looked, and the directory & file do not exist at C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\  ...there is a Simulation folder but no Design Data. I tried running Inventor as Administrator and it did not create the folder.  I tried repairing the Inventor installation & that didn't work either.

I am running Inventor 2011 Pro SP1 (Build 282); Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Hi nhahn,

The report looks for the template in the "...\Design Data\Simulation\Report" folder.  It looks like you're using Win7 / Vista.  For those O/S' installer places the files here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Design Data

The report template files are located here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Design Data\Simulation\Report

I can reproduce your issue if I change the Inventor project file's design data folder to some thing like C:\Program Files.  I'm wondering if you might have a non-default design data folder specified in your project file.

You can either change the Design Data folder in the project file back to "default" or else copy the Report Template files (with the Simualtion\Report folder structure) over to the design data location specified in your active project file.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, -Hugh

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 7 (1,241 Views)

Re: Error when attempting to create report from simulation

02-07-2011 02:10 PM in reply to: nhahn

Try changing the defaults in the report settings and pick a different folder. Try creating a "Temp" directory on your c:\ drive and use it.

At the bottom of your first screen for the FEA Report you can select where you want the report to be generated. The standard default is <Current path to *.iam file>. Looks like someone has changed it.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 344.60
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
Valued Contributor
nhahn
Message 3 of 7 (1,239 Views)

02-07-2011 02:14 PM in reply to: nhahn

I'll double-check, but I don't think that's it, since I didn't use the default report location.  I specified several other places (i.e. My Documents), none of which worked.  The directory it's giving the error about is not where I specified the report to be created.

Is it looking for some sort of report template that wasn't installed, or has the wrong path?

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 4 of 7 (1,233 Views)

02-07-2011 03:00 PM in reply to: nhahn

To me the error report is trying to save to a directory that doesn't exist. Try editing the "Locations"

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 344.60
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
Employee
henderh
Message 5 of 7 (1,188 Views)

02-08-2011 08:35 AM in reply to: nhahn

Hi nhahn,

The report looks for the template in the "...\Design Data\Simulation\Report" folder.  It looks like you're using Win7 / Vista.  For those O/S' installer places the files here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Design Data

The report template files are located here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Design Data\Simulation\Report

I can reproduce your issue if I change the Inventor project file's design data folder to some thing like C:\Program Files.  I'm wondering if you might have a non-default design data folder specified in your project file.

You can either change the Design Data folder in the project file back to "default" or else copy the Report Template files (with the Simualtion\Report folder structure) over to the design data location specified in your active project file.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Simulation QA Engineer
DLS
Valued Contributor
nhahn
Message 6 of 7 (1,179 Views)

02-08-2011 09:48 AM in reply to: nhahn

Yes, thank you.  The files were present at the location you specified in the user directory.  We have the project design data folder pointed to a server so it's the same for all projects.  Since the Design Data folder wasn't present on the server, perhaps it defaulted to the Program Files location (though I don't understand why it didn't default to the Inventor default design data location (under Application Options > File tab), which was still pointing to the right place in my user directory.

In any case, it appears to work now, so good enough.  Thanks again Hugh.

Employee
henderh
Message 7 of 7 (1,176 Views)

02-08-2011 09:51 AM in reply to: nhahn

Excellent!  We're glad we could be of assistance.

We appreciate the follow-up.

Sincerely, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
Simulation QA Engineer
DLS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!