Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error opening assembly on 32bit 2013 that was created on 64Bit 2013

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Roger456
359 Views, 4 Replies

Error opening assembly on 32bit 2013 that was created on 64Bit 2013

Hi

I have an assembly that was created on 64 bit version of Inventor 2013, the total file size of everything is around 150MB. Even if I use 'Pack and Go' to move the file to another computer running the 32 bit version I get an error when I try to open it which says something like:

'unable to allocate 3GB memory for FBAttributeSegment'

The actually figure is over 3GB but of course on a 32 bit version of windows it is physically impossible to allocate that amount of memory (even with the /3GB in boot.ini hack)

I've performed various dynamic simulations as well as animations within the assembly so I'm thinking that perhaps its trying to allocate that huge amount of memory for a saved state of one of those.

Any ideas of what FBAtributeSegment might be and whether there is any special way to save an assembly to avoid this problem? The name FBAttributeSegment doesn't correspond to any part or assembly names.

I should also add that I have no problem opening it in a 32 bit version of Fusion which again suggests to me that it is something like simulation or animation that is causing this

Roger

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: Roger456

My first guess (and this is truelly a guess)  is to delete any simulation results folders/files  something like filename\AIP\FEA,

Inventor will complain, but the setup is still there, run the analysis again if results needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
henderh

Hi Roger,

Like JD, this is just a guess on my part of whether or not this will work.  Have you tried unloading all addins?  (image attached)

Also, as JD mentioned, if you have a large number of Shell bodies (midsurfaces or offsets) from Stress Analysis R2013, those can increase the file size on disk.  You can delete the shells themselves, or the entire simulation and re-save to bring the file size down.  The results files themselves are kept on disk external to the model file.

Dynamic Simulation does save the simulation results within the assembly file itself, if you saved in Simulation mode.  The way to remove the DS results is to save in Construction mode.

However, we don't load these segments into memory until you enter the specific simulation add-in environment.  So, I don't think that these are causing the FBSegment memory allocation issue you're describing, by just opening the assembly file.

Hope this this helps...

Best regards, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 4 of 5
Roger456
in reply to: henderh

Hi

I couldn't see any files/folders of any size that corresponded to DS so I tried the other suggestion. I went into construction mode and made a small change which I know would delete any current simulation results. As soon as I saved the assembly I could see that it had already drastically reduced in size, so yes it does appear that simulation data is stored in the assembly file. I then performed a pack and go, copied to the other machine and sure enough it opened just fine. Problem solved 🙂

Roger

Message 5 of 5
henderh

Hi Roger, this is great news you were able to resolve the issue Smiley Very Happy

We appreciate the follow-up.  I'll look into the issue some more, I wasn't expecting the Dynamic Simulation data to consume an inordinate amount memory on file open.

Sincerely, -Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report