Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message - Design Data corrupted

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ARCross
1956 Views, 9 Replies

Error Message - Design Data corrupted

I am having problems with an error message relating to what appears to be a corrupted design data file. 

I am unable to save changes in my dwg to my design data file.  I get this message:

Style library (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2011\Design Data\) cannot be saved because it is damaged.

If I attempt to copy a view in a dwg to another sheet or move it using the browser, I get the following error:

Paste View: problems encountered while executing this command.
     Invalid XML value for 'SubstituteDisplayUnit'. Expected 'bool' received '44' in file:///C:/Users/Public/Documents/Autodesk/Inventor%202011/Design%20Data/PartsList.xml.
       Invalid XML value for 'SubstituteFractionalFormat'. Expected 'bool' received '255' in file:///C:/Users/Public/Documents/Autodesk/Inventor%202011/Design%20Data/PartsList.xml.

I have also noticed that if I multi select components with ipropWiz5 and attempt to change the part name - it fails.

I have tried reinstall in Inventor, ipropWiz5, etc. But to no avail.

Has anyone else run into these error?  I have seen some postings in regards to a corrupted design data file but no resolution.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ARCross
in reply to: ARCross

Here is another error I get when I go to save a component.  I have not lost any work yet as it seems to save when I close out the parent assembly.  Just not sure what is going on with my machine. 

Problems encountered while saving the document.
     Could not rename new document version from E:\Inventor\Bodnar\NATH SILOS\SILO 1\SILO 1 CAN\SECTION_7B.newVer.iam to E:\Inventor\Bodnar\NATH SILOS\SILO 1\SILO 1 CAN\SECTION_7B.iam
       The database in E:\Inventor\Bodnar\NATH SILOS\SILO 1\SILO 1 CAN\SECTION_7B.iam could not be saved

Message 3 of 10
ARCross

I should have mentioned -  I am using Inventor 2011 Service Pack 2, Windows 7 64, Dell Precision 6700

Message 4 of 10
mrattray

Next time you get one of these errors go to your manage tab and click update, when the dialog box comes up just click OK and see if this solves your problem.

I get these errors sometimes on my machine (especially when I'm editing titleblocks) and this works for the session.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I believe in 2011 there was a progam DesignData.exe or something similar that would put all the design data files back to what was originally installed.

Of course if you have extensive modifications to your styles, you might not want to do that.

Message 6 of 10
drguitarum2005
in reply to: Anonymous

Any update on this? I'm on 2013 and getting the same problem...

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

We have also started seeing this error recently on our 2013 Product Design Suite Ultimate. It also manifests when creating a new IDW for the first time in a session.

All of our design data files for our 18 users are stored on and accessed from the same virtual server where we have Vault Workgroup installed. The problem always appears to be from PartsList.xml. I tried replacing that xml file from a back up copy but the problem immediately reappeared.

This is a very annoying issue as it manifests itself in strange ways. For example one of my users this morning was trying to copy a sketch item from one IDW view sketch into another IDW view sketch and the error window popped up. The item could not be pasted and had to be recreated in the IDW view sketch from scratch.

Attached is an image of the error that popped up on creating a new IDW from a custom template.

Thanks for any input,

Dave Gorjup

Dynamic Aviation

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

As a follow up, when I go into my template idw and try to save the local styles to the style library, I get the attached error message. Can anyone decipher it?

Thanks,

Dave Gorjup

Dynamic Aviation

Message 9 of 10
yannick3

Hi

the only way i found to avoid this error is to restore the design data and after open the idw, dwg, iam and ipt template and save style in library for each template. This allow to keep the change made in your styles

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I finally tracked down at least a partial solution to this problem. We have a custom iprop called Finish Spec in our Ansi parts list. The problem is that somehow non-boolean entries got into the xml formatting fields where only 0 or 1 are allowed.

I had to edit the partslist.xml, drill down into the xml file, in my case looking for Parts List (ANSI), find the bad entries under the appropriate Column field, and manually edit the entries to a "0" or a "1" (ON or OFF).

This solved the xml error on new IDW creation and the view copy problem.

I have not yet checked to see if this resolves the "cannot be saved because it is damaged problem. I don't want to take a chance of shutting down everything during  production hours.

Regards,

Dave Gorjup

Dynamic Aviation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report