Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error and Crash when making Changes to Threads

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Paul-Mason
995 Views, 17 Replies

Error and Crash when making Changes to Threads

I have recently started to have a problem in that when I create a thread on a bar and then change either the tread size or type Inventor will not have it I get there error shown below or sometime "Vector To Long" with the error shown below Inventor stops responding all to gather with the Vector To Long I can exit the threads option and either retry or save and close Inventor.

Erro on Chamges to thread.png

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Yijiang.Cai
in reply to: Paul-Mason

Hi Mason,

Could you attach the model you used for this issue as this is not reproducible from the common part? Are you using the default thread.xls in Design Data folder?

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 18
Paul-Mason
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

Attached are the files that over the past few weeks have exhibited these problem, at this time I'a ONLY seeing this when I use BRITISH STANDARD threads from an altered xls file that I have used for years and previously had no problems with, that is Also included in the Attached zipped file.

Seems that if I shutdown Inventor then restart a new session then I can alter the threads, if I get the "Vector to long..." error then I can get away with simply closing the file and reopening it. Also connected with this problem seems to be the Inventor memory meter not resetting but always, even after a large file is long close, staying at the maximum level and not dropping down to  the lower usage level.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 4 of 18
Yijiang.Cai

I don't see the attachment from your thread. Please re-attach them or send it to me @ river-yijiang.cai@autodesk.com.

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 18
Paul-Mason

Here thay are agin , as Tread Problem.zip, UNLESS the NG server is stripping attached zipped files off

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 6 of 18
Paul-Mason

Well it looks like the old problem of attaching files in IE11 is back AGAIN. the files have been stripped twice by the eith IE11 or the NG System, I'll try with google this time and maybe just maybe it'll work.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 7 of 18
Yijiang.Cai

Many thanks for you to take the effort to attach the dataset once more! When following the steps from you using the dataset, crash does not happen in my machine. Could you check that Excel application has already installed in your machine? 

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 18
Paul-Mason

Yes Excel 2013 is installed and working correctly, I've also done a repair install of IV.

This seems to one one of those occasional errors that only seems to crop up now and again with quit a time between. I've had non of these for the last 2 weeks. 

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
=================
Message 9 of 18
Dickerson2012

I also have this problem with Migrated Inventor 2008 Holes. It will

crash Inventor 2014 with the error "String to Long"

Any ideas on how to fix this or the Hole Feature Copy and paste

problem when using clearance hole Tables would be very helpful .

T.I.A.

Message 10 of 18
Yijiang.Cai
in reply to: Dickerson2012

Could you attach the dataset? And we could have further investigation.
Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 18
Dickerson2012

Message 12 of 18
Yijiang.Cai

When looking into the dataset you attached, there is no hole feature in the model. Is this a right model you want to attach? Or any downstream workflow I need to take? I have created the clearance hole on the block, and it works fine.
Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 13 of 18

The file I had attached was for a different error. One that would crash IV2014 if you modified the parameters of the base Extrusion. I have attached to this post the file with (2) feature erros. (1) hole that report serious error "String to Long" when you edit and (1) Feature that has been copied using the Rt Click Copy of the Hole feature and has no primary diameter. See attached screen shot. What can I do to remedy these issues?

-Nathaniel

Message 14 of 18
Dickerson2012

Mr. Cai,

Have you had a moment to review the submittal?

-Nathaniel

Message 15 of 18
Yijiang.Cai

I take the workflow you provided in R2014 SP1, and no crash happens. So could you apply SP1 and have a try again?
Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 18
Dickerson2012

I have applied all updates ( Build 222, R2014, SP1, Update 1 - 10/16/2013. I even applied The Update 2 ( http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22744369&linkID=9242019 ).

To be clear we have (2) issues here, I will reattach the dataset to this post as Exhibit A and B. The crash produced by the file WITHOUT any of the hole features ( error report CER_90216705 ) is Exhibit-A-Crash.ipt. This crash occures when attempting to edit any parameters of the feature.

The "String to Long" error produced while editing any of the hole features in Exhibit-B-StringToLong.ipt

Message 17 of 18
Yijiang.Cai

I could reproduce the first crash. I find the dataset "Exhibit-A-Crash.zip" has been migrated to R2014, and it is created in R2008. So could you attach the dataset created in R2008 as I would like to see whether it is caused by the migration error? For the second crash, I can't reproduce it when editing any hole feature. So could you also attach the excel files for hole feature within "...\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Design Data\XLS\en-US"?
Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 18 of 18
Dickerson2012

yes I can kindly send email to nathaniel.dickerson[ -at- ]entegee[ - dot - ]com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report