Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

equation for pattern

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
smccaa
345 Views, 3 Replies

equation for pattern

I am designing a fretboard for a guitar. I'm wondering if you can use the pattern feature to create the fret spacing.

Spacing is goverend by the equation:

d = s – (s / (2 ^ (n / 12)))

D = Distance from the top of the fretboard

s = Scale length

n = fret number

My hope was to create a line and then do a pattern with this equation. So that the first pattern line would be 1.431" from the pattern source line. The second would be 2.782" from the source line, etc. (Given S=25.5) 

My hope is to create a drawing that I can enter a few values and it creates an entirely new fretboard. For example change S and all frets recalculate. 

Thanks,

Steve

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
admaiora
in reply to: smccaa

Hi Sm,

i am sorry, you can do that, and it would be nice the ability to do that in the future.

You can do it in other many ways considering that your istances are not so many..

For example:

esq.jpg

Sample part attached.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
smccaa
in reply to: admaiora

Thanks Admaiora! I am currently doing what you suggested, and its very very close to what I need. I've linked it to an Excel sheet and do my calculations there. 

But with the pattern, I can vary the number of frets (repeated elements) and the lines will dissappear. With the suggested answer I have to manually add or remove the fret lines. (Not all guitars have the same number of frets. most are 21-24)

Hopefully someone at Autodesk is reading this and thinks it worthy of adding to the feature list!

Message 4 of 4
mpatchus
in reply to: smccaa

Sounds like an ideal situation for some iLogic code using some "If Then" statements.

How about it all you iLogic gurus out there?

Is this something that iLogic could handle?

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report